Tuesday, September 20, 2016

September 20, 2016 – A Little Rain, But Not Enough – One for Three in Bucks and Northampton Counties

Skinny and clear at creek #1
Despite Montgomery County creeks getting a spike on the gauges on Monday, the evening did not pan out with additional rain, as I had hoped.  Also, this too-brief rain event seemed to affect less of SEPA than I had expected.  Still, I woke up and did some work at home this morning, encouraged that the clouds were sticking around.  Despite the dry streets outside my window, I was still trying to psych myself up to take a fishing trip today.  In the end, I did not find the conditions I was hoping for (I should have played hookie yesterday!) but I did manage to catch a handful of respectable fish, and I had far more refusals than I care to count.  In low water, on wild trout streams, even seeing some aggressive fish at two creeks before connecting with the hooks at a third creek was a good enough sign that, despite some battle scars, this dreadful summer wasn’t too rough on the residents.  Perhaps the fall won't be so bad after all?

My first stop of the morning was a Bucks County limestoner that I have found to be hit or miss, but usually miss.  I have gained access to two sections of the mostly posted creek, but neither one is consistent.  In May of 2015, I caught two very big trout here on the fly rod, and I have had success on smaller fish a couple times, but this year, I have not seen much life on the creek.  I spent about an hour here, mostly walking and tossing a Rapala CD 1, and I only had one refusal by a 10 inch brown who was hiding in the weeds in a deep hole.  The water was low, but it was a healthy 65 degrees when I left at 11:30 AM.  Even with Monday’s rain, though, it was clear already.  I may rest this creek or find more access closer to the headwaters.

No 20 inch monsters today.
My second stop was another small limestoner in Northampton County.  When I was here a few weeks ago, I moved a bunch of fish and caught a huge wild brown.  Since it was on the way to the third creek I had in mind, I figured I would target two holes where I saw a number of fish last time.  I did not climb all the way up to the hole where the big brown lives, mostly because I didn’t want to knock on doors to gain access, and I also didn’t want to bushwhack in from above.  Well, this mission failed too. The water flow was better here, and also cold, but it was not stained like I had hoped.   These fish, especially the larger ones, are not easily duped in high sun and clear water. Like last time, I had several follows and refusals, and I missed the hookset on one decent fish who did finally commit.  He did not take the plug until it reached the tailout, however, and I could see him hit before I could feel him hit.  All I got for my troubles was a plug flying 10 yards behind me and a spooked pool!

Finally at creek #3!  Outside of the mouth still count??




















My last stop finally paid off, thank goodness!   Since it is a larger stream than the trickles I started the morning fishing, it was a bit stained still and flows were good.  Even at 3 PM, the temperature of the water was in the high 60s, and fish hit with gusto when I could find good summer holding water.  It didn’t take long to catch a smaller wild brown.  I was tossing a larger Rapala CD 5 with my 7 foot ultralight, not the shorter rod I threw earlier in the day.  This combo also has Nanofil spooled on it, which seemed to give me the millisecond I needed for a faster hookset due to low or zero stretch.  Even then, I got a couple on the outside of the mouth!  

A good healthy rainbow




















I ended up catching 5 decent trout here, most in fast, oxygenated pocket water.  The two rainbows were angry and healthy.  One of the wild browns, which was a good 13 inches long, looked like he had had a narrow escape from a blue heron or a hawk, but he fought well and scooted back to his lair in good shape. 

Bow # 2
I would have kept fishing, but I needed to get the boy at school by 5 PM, so I called it a day around 4 and headed for home.  Not the day I was hoping for, and I had to log some mileage, in the car and on foot, but I avoided the skunk with some quality fish.  I was drenched in sweat, had gone through all my water, and was covered in little green burrs from all the vegetation, but I was happy to get in a fishing day. Come on rain and cool temperatures! This summer has gone on far too long.

Some battle scars, but strong and healthy.























No comments:

Post a Comment