Tuesday, November 21, 2017

November 21, 2017 – Lucky Enough to Stick One on a Scouting Trip, Or Simply a Blind Squirrel? – Ocean County, NJ

Slacker.
A real surf fisherman would not have been photographing the sunrise from 10 miles off the coast this morning, but it’s been too long since I have been a real surf fisherman, I suppose.  After Sandy, I took up fly fishing again in earnest, partly because the beach was off limits, jacked up, or not productive enough to warrant all the long drives I once made.  That said, I still love it, especially catching fish on a plug.  It is hard to describe the alien excitement of picking a piece of soft structure in the vast Atlantic Ocean, often in the dark, mind you, delivering a cast with confidence, somehow knowing something has to be waiting there, and then feeling the thump of a bass as it ambushes your plug in a washing machine of suds and crosscurrents.

Too short: taped at 27, so close enough to have to dig around in my bag for a tape!  Bone SP minnow.




















My first trip of the fall is a late one this year, but I wanted to take a ride today and scout a few miles of my favorite beach.  Leaving earlier may have been more productive.  Staying longer to walk the beach at low tide may have been more informative.  However, I was just happy to be out there in sporty conditions, tossing an SP Minnow into the wash, and tangling with a fat 27 inch bass.  I had nary a bump after that, in almost 3 hours of walking and throwing, but the bait guys were doing nothing either, and I saw no signs of life, even offshore.  I did find a few new cuts, holes, and even a rip that has always formed in approximately the same place ever since the super-storm, so I am hoping to head back next week.

Got a little breezy on the walk back, and not the good kind: SW 20-30.




















The week after Thanksgiving was one of the few good ones last year, so I am hopeful.  I am also a fan of the schoolie run that usually takes place in December, and I may even try to catch one on the fly rod this year.  Talk about a blind squirrel there!   That’s not what it’s about for me, though.  When I first started surf fishing, I used to plug the early, early mornings and then soak some bait to make the long drive worth it.  But now I am of the mind that if I can catch one or two on the plug each time I take the long drive, then I have beat the odds, especially on foot and not in a buggy, and it is a good trip, even if I drove 90 minutes to fish 3 hours..  Today was a good first trip of the fall, and it will not be my last.



8 comments:

  1. Glad to see you got on fish, i know the surf was not kind to you last year. Pro tip: if you arent on the beach an hour before sun up, you missed the bite.

    Im debating getting up and making the run early tomorrow (leave philly at 3am-4am). Debating as the reports have not been good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pete. The sunrise thing is true with sandeels but is not true at all this time of year with bunker. If you find bait, and you can reach them, you will find fish. Good luck this weekend. I may head down Sunday night or Monday. Hate crowds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 75% of the stripers in my lifetime have been caught in the dark. I tend to think predawn is the best.

      Delete
  3. Yep, but as the season winds down, you can find them on the move anytime of day. Low tide, get out there on the bar and have fun! Just don't swim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rats and shorts for days yesterday

      Delete
    2. Interesting too. I have caught most of my surf bass in the trough at high tide.

      Delete
  4. Man, how far north were you? Rats means the end is near...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s a nice site you people are carrying out there.
    el capitanos offshore 7956 2nd Ave S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33707 (941) 468-8692el capitanos offshore

    ReplyDelete