Saturday, April 18, 2015

4/18/2015 - Opening Day in NEPA - A Haiku

Opening Day, sun, heat.
Kenny and Joe, Brodhead Creek.
One that got away.

The only evidence that Ken caught a fish today.  Sorry!
I fished way too long on this beautiful day for one sucker on a pheasant tail.  I helped Kenny lose a good rainbow by offering to land it for him. Three guys and no net. Time to write a post-it note next trip: someone bring a net.  Otherwise, it was just a terrible fishing day.  It was crowed like it hasn't been in years—fine weather always helps with that, and I am not sure if the Mentored Youth day last week also took a toll on the fish who would have been eager to eat today.
Pop Joe ready to embrace the day (and the crowds)
didn't see but a handful of fish caught, and most of them were big hooked jawed monsters.  My dad and I got the skunk on Opening Day, a first for both us, perhaps.  If it happened before it was 35 years ago when we didn't know what we were doing. There was no excuse today; it just wasn't meant to be. My trout season started in February this year, so it was just fun to be out with the boys, but I do remember a time not that long ago when Opening Day was a lot easier.
It is a pretty piece of water though.

No comments:

Post a Comment