Sunday, December 6, 2015

December 5, 2015 – Surf Casting Practice in the Dead Sea

Morning has broken...




















I was on the road to an Ocean County beach at 3:30 AM again on Saturday.  My dad was fighting a cold and sinus thing, so he stayed in bed.  The only thing he missed was the scenery.  When I lead with two sunrise pics in a week, you know fishing is slow!  I arrived and started fishing around 5 AM.  I started by throwing a black SP minnow with a teaser on my 10 footer, but within 60 minutes I went back to the Subaru for my lighter set-up with a smaller plug, hoping for schoolies or even rats.  I just had the premonition that it was not going to happen today. 

The water was clean and the surf was calm due to a couple days of NW wind, but there should have been at least short resident fish on some of the structure I could reach.  I targeted holes and cuts I had scouted when I fished blindly on Thursday.  Since it was a Saturday, I had more company today, with plenty of bait guys set up and buggies running back and forth hoping for signs of life in the form of birds or bait.  I spoke to some guys and watched many others who came up dry, not even skates.  I made a lot of casts to good structure like the cut below.  The fact that I didn’t get a bump would have been depressing had it not been such a nice day.  After sitting on a bench for a relaxing 15 minutes to cool down, and watching gannets dive in the distance and bored dudes soaking bunker chunks, I was back on the road home before 8:30 AM.  I am hoping with a warm future weather pattern in place for a week or more that I will at least get a shot at the schoolie run that should be happening soon.  It would be nice to get the old man on some fish too.  Trout on Monday morning??  Maybe…

The view from the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment