Tuesday, March 29, 2016

March 29, 2016 – Some Valley Creek Success on a Windy, Bluebird Day

Sneaking around paid off on a sunny, windy, chilly day.




















I made yesterday’s Plan B into today’s Plan A and got out for about three hours before work this morning in the upper reaches of Valley.  The water clarity was good, maybe slightly stained but nothing like the larger creeks I crossed.  The air temperature was only about 46 when I started fishing, but the water temperature was a good 51 degrees in the sun.  

A lot of obstacles, but the hunt is part of the fun.
I did not see much bug life until about 1 PM when I was heading back to the Subaru, but at least a couple fish were rising at that time for olives.  The only other fisherman I saw said he got one decent fish to take a midge dry in a flat pool.  The wind was pretty strong by mid-morning, and it was having its way with my 3 wt line by the time I quit.  For me, nymphing in small, braided pockets close to cover was my ticket to 8 nice wild browns.

The last 3 fish of the day shot out from the roots to attack a sj worm.




















I had early success with an 18 pheasant tail under a scud pattern, pulling three healthy little browns from under roots and down trees on the dropper.  The creek is, at best, only about 10 to 12 feet wide where I was, and the wind was kicking up at inopportune times, so every missed strike or freed snag had the potential for tree work.  Even though I landed at least 4 trout fishing this way, I got tired of pulling two flies and a tiny indicator out of overhanging limbs, bankside vegetation and my own waders and clothing.  I eventually simplified to a single mayfly nymph, and I ended the day catching at least 3 fat fish on a san juan worm, which, in my book, is not cheating on Valley Creek ;)

This one is eating well!




















I saw a bunch of fish in the flat water, but many of them were unapproachable from the bank.  Walking in the water and sending a not so subtle wake at them was also not an option.  I had a lot of fun hunting though.  This kind of fishing involves some stealth, a lot of kneeling and using trees to hide, not to mention being aware of one’s shadow, especially on a cloudless day.  I am glad I decided to keep my plans to fish today, as it’s going down to 28 degrees tonight.  I hope the temps bounce back for Saturday’s Opening Day festivities.  I owe the boy a good day, so I don’t have to spring for lunch again.

A good fish on one of my last casts of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment