Sunday, December 11, 2016

December 11, 2016 – Batting Average Plummets for 2016 – Another Fishless Foray in the Atlantic

Still hopeful??




















Man, I have had a tough fall in the surf this year.  I know a lot of guys have, but it still hurts.  Unless you are lucky enough to catch a blitz, there is just no structure holding fish along the shoreline.  I am accustomed to getting at least a little something for the effort.  I live too far away to be a true sharpie, but I used to be able to call the right shots and even put my dad and others on fish somewhat consistently—which is not easy; surf guides certainly don’t guarantee fish for their clients.  It’s at least a 70 to 90 minute ride to the Ocean County and Monmouth County beaches where, once upon a time, I caught enough fish on enough trips to make the long drive at ungodly hours in the morning worthwhile.  I used to love the night bite and would usually be heading home shortly after sunrise.  I have done a handful of such pre-dawn trips this year with nothing to show but some sunrise photos and sand in the Subaru.

Hmm, glassy and shallow.
Out on a Monmouth County beach this am, I fished the outgoing tide from 4:30 to 9:00 AM.  The water was glassy and clear from what feels like ages of NW winds.  The water close to the Hook will stay around 50 degrees for a bit longer than central New Jersey, so I usually don’t venture below LBI this time of year.  I saw a handful of gannets speculating, and a dozen boats broke the inlet and headed north, so I have to believe that a schoolie run may partially rescue my 2016, but I am not holding my breath.  I even threw small this morning, Mag Minnows, shads, even a 1 oz T-Hex in case the rumored sandeels were around.  I did not get a touch, and neither did the other dudes I saw.  I have a busy week ahead with finals, but I hope the water stays warm enough for one more shot during the week of the December 19th.  If not, it’s back to trout this winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment