Thursday, January 26, 2017

January 25, 2017 – Has It Really Been 10 Days?? - A Successful Trip Close to Home Following the Nor'easter

The first of the day.
I guess I actually do work sometimes?  I saw that my last report was on January 15, so that means today was the first time I have fished in 10 days.  That is usually pretty normal, but this winter has been mild, and I have been fishing a lot, especially having nearly a month off at the holidays.  After a steady soaker, a true Nor’easter, earlier in the week, I figured the creeks would be in good shape today, so I was itching to get out.  The weather was beautiful, a high of 50 with sun and a light breeze, so I had to give it a shot somewhere.  I decided to stay close to home, maybe Valley, which fishes well after the rain.  Valley is always an option, though, even on the coldest day, so I opted for a nearby freestoner, Stony Creek, instead.  When I fished there earlier in the winter, I did pretty well, though the fish were very small.  I decided to throw my 8 foot 3 weight rod with midges and make a sport of the little fish that were 15 minutes from home.  As you can see from my new toy, a measure net that the boy and I purchased at the new Gander Mountain store up the road, a couple fish were over 10 inches and one maybe 11, but the average is still a fat 9.  I guess feeding them in the runs only added girth, as time alone can add the length...

You can't feed them to grow long, I guess, but fat, yes indeed....

I started at a deep, flat hole where I did not catch any fish the last time I was there.  Usually, the hole gets loaded up with fish, and other fish probably move up and down too over time since they don’t much like to hang in the riffles in the winter and need protection from raptors in clear winter water.  I could see a few bulges and vees once in a while, like fish were feeding or just tired of being bunched together and lashing out at each other.  There were also many midges dancing around.  I assumed the disturbances could be sunfish or chubs, especially since I took nothing out of this hole before, but it was definitely worth a shot.
Just a gorgeous day.

On the first cast, a fish made a move toward the midge not a second after it hit the water.  With clearer conditions, these fish will start taking dry flies, no doubt.  I landed a little 9 inch rainbow, average for this particular winter brood.  I thought it was going to be silly fishing, but after that one crazy fish, the rest took the midge like they usually do, a barely perceptible dip in the tiny indicator.  I pulled 8 or 9 fish out of this same hole before moving on.  I had a couple places to scout that I hadn’t worked up to in previous winter trips.  The rest of the roughly four hours I was on the water was steady, with one or two in each likely spot and a handful of dropped fish on barbless midges.  I stopped fishing at an even 20 fish to the net, just so I wasn’t too greedy!

7 + 4 = 11.  A monster for today!




















I ran into two spin fishermen who were also taking advantage of the beautiful day, and they each released a couple fish.  The trout were definitely tuned into the midges, however.  I suspended a streamer for a while, just to change it up (and maybe find that elusive 12 incher) but nothing chased or moved.  The water was muddy but clearing, so visibility was not an issue for the fish, who had no problem finding a size 20 black zebra midge.  I also got an even number on an olive brassie that was probably smaller but had a larger hook, which meant fewer lost fish, and it sank more quickly in the spots where the water was moving a bit faster.

5 + 5 = 10, and that was 20 on the day.
After talking to my wife around 1:30 PM, I was ready to head back down to the Suburu, but she is always good luck when she calls.  I decided to try two more holes upstream and end on 15 fish for the day.  Well, by 2:45 PM I had 19 fish, so I now resigned to quit at 20.  I did turn back towards my parking spot, however, hoping to get that last one at a brief stop on the way back, perhaps one of the U-shaped holes that the club built to create some habitat.  By 3 PM, I had number 20, and he was actually a 10 inch monster, or at least he felt that way after all the 8 and 9 inchers (and a 3 weight rod helps too).  I probably would have caught some prettier, wilier fish at Valley today, but I was glad that I was able to take advantage of a nearby creek and have some fun on a perfect spring, I mean, winter day.  Cold is supposed to return by the weekend, but it doesn’t seem to last, so perhaps it won’t be 10 days until my next post?



No comments:

Post a Comment