Tuesday, July 25, 2017

July 25, 2017 – A Long Time Coming, a Short Time Out, an Itch Effectively Scratched – Valley Creek

Until today, the closest I have been to fish in over two weeks.




















Up until today, I had not been fishing in over two full weeks, which may be a new record for me and not one I hope to repeat.  Tami had ACL surgery on a full tear, and on her right leg too, so I have been playing nurse with part-time help from a boy and a lot of friends and family.  I am eating well, too well, and not getting my long walks in waders carrying gear which helps keep equilibrium, both physically and mentally.  The recovery will be long—no driving for Tami until at least late-September since the knee in question belongs to her Jersey lead-footed right leg—but it has not been bad, actually.  The whole gang was sort of cocooning in the hot, humid dog days, eating, watching movies, napping, playing games, eating, napping.  She had the surgery on a Monday, and by Wednesday, we had her in a Whole Foods on an electric cart, by Friday in a donated wheelchair at the swim club.  She is working up the gall to request a ride in the handicap pool crane, for lack of a better term, that could deftly lower her into the drink.  In the meantime, the boy or I will keep her cool with iced coffees and buckets nearby in order to spritz and refresh.  

Just a perfect Valley wild brown to start my morning.




















Friends have been getting Lukas, our son who has been helpful beyond his years, outside for adventures to break the monotony, and Tami’s friends are starting to fill her calendar with short outings and visits, which will help keep her sane.  I am teaching two classes right now and prepping for the fall, and I even went out to see live music with my buddy Alan on Saturday night, so I have been occupied, but the smell of rain and the cooler temperatures predicted for today had me fidgeting in the garage yesterday.  Without prompting, conscious prompting, at least, Tami suggested I take the morning and go fishing.  Well, the rain was heavy and the flooding pretty bad in places, but I knew Valley would come down quickly.  Because it is so close to home, I would also not waste valuable time driving instead of fishing.  Valley fishes well in the rain, sometimes really well, so I may have chosen it even if I had all the time in the world today and not just a few hours.

Rising water is better than falling, and it doesn't stay this color long, but life is good sometimes while it is...




















The gauges showed two spikes overnight, but the water was back in its banks, albeit chocolaty and swift, when I arrived just before sunrise.  I normally don’t fish the National Park area except in the winter, but I figured the mud and rain would keep crowds of fisherman and tourists to a minimum today.  I was right.  I saw one guy suiting up in a parking lot on my way home and may have seen three joggers until 9:30 AM when I turned to hike back to the Subaru.  I did hook and lose my biggest fish in plain view of the passing cars and trucks on Route 252, but that is part of Valley in the Park’s charm, I suppose.  I was not distracted, just too tired and ready to go home when a big fish, maybe 15 inches grabbed the mighty Roberdeau streamer, one pretty large for the average Valley fish, especially on my little 3 weight rod, though not this particular fish.  I thought I’d hooked a floating stick, something soft but heavy floating in the current, not a big colored-up wild brown that took one head shake and swam free.  Most of the morning, I had success with a basic black bugger with a hot bead in size 12 or 14, intentionally small,  maybe just slightly bigger than the minnow and other fish fry pushed up to the banks in high water during the summer months.  

Longest and palest of the morning.
On my walk back to the ‘Ru, I decided to try to “fish large,” having already landed a half a dozen on the small streamer.  I should have started with the larger streamer!  I moved two very nice fish and hooked the 15 incher on the bigger streamer.  Hindsight…  I just wanted action of any kind after the dry spell, but next time it rains this well, I will be more intentional in a few lairs I know historically hold larger trout and did so today.

A plump one with the hot bead bugger.




















I did catch some nice fish for Valley, at least 6 in about 3.5 hours and up to 12 inches, and I turned a bunch of smaller fish too.  Before tying on the big Sam G Roberdeau special, I did try to nymph a couple runs with nary a hit.  Even when I left for home at 10 AM, the creek was still moving a lot of brown and gray water, so I am not surprised.  A few fish did show themselves chasing emergers, so later in the day may have been good for swinging wets or nymphing.  With the warm run-off in the creek, it was nearly 66 degrees, but I am sure it will come back down with the cooler nights and ebbing run-off.  The Skuke looked angry on the way home, and the Wissy had road closures all around my neighborhood, so I appreciate how quickly little ol’ Valley bounces back and how productive it can be after a good rain.  I also appreciate that my wife, even in all her pain, was thinking of me this week, as I have been on nurse, (bad) housekeeper, and (bad) chef autopilot for 15 days, and I didn’t even know how bad I needed this little trip!


Just barely beat the next round of rain


4 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work.
    deep sea fishing tampa fl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your article. Good one. I liked it. Keep going. you are a best writer your site is very useful and informative thanks for Sharing best spinning reel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Post: The van staal VS200
    is the most popular surf fishing reel.

    ReplyDelete