Thursday, May 16, 2019

May 16, 2019 – What Are the Odds of Not Finding One Decent One? – Manatawny Creek

Many little wild fish and lots of bugs right now.
Back to reality today, I took a relatively short ride and fished the Manny in Berks County.  I had a good day that was encouraging for a very particular reason.  I did a poor job of explaining myself last time I posted about this creek.  I did not picture any wild fish then, only a few nice looking stockies and perhaps one nice holdover, but I referenced wild fish being in the mix.  Well, like today, half of them were 4 inches long and got a long distance release from bigger flies.  Today, I made sure to land and photograph a few parr and one about 8 inches long.  A dry dropper with a midge, and it is possible this year to catch a dozen dinks, methinks.  Conditions permitting, though, there are sections of the creek that may experience a spike in decent wild fish this fall and winter, I hope.  I did already encounter more last year than the previous two or three.  The wet 2018 and beginning of this year may have assisted a successful spawn.  It is also equally possible that the successful spawn took place in the limestone tribs, and the high water simply washed the parr down into the Manny?  Either way, I will take them.

A hot one or two in the mix.




















The bugs are there too.  I saw sulfurs, two types of caddis, and midges (not to mention mosquitos already).  The water was still heavily stained today, and flows were higher than normal, so the purple jig worked wonders on stockies and wild fish, especially because little black caddis are still present,  The sulfurs must also have them looking because a frenchie with a hot spot scored a lot too. I landed at least 12 stocked and holdover browns, no rainbows again (this seems like a creek that should only get rainbows as far as stocking!), and landed 8 or 9 little wild fish, losing a handful of tiny fish too.  I felt like I had the right bugs on, and I certainly should have landed one decent wild fish—the odds were with me, but I had to settle for a few hot holdover fish that really separated themselves from the pack with wild fights and leaps.  No eye spots, and no confirmed wild keepers to be found, but the season is young. 

Frenchie with a hot spot.
The creek will often stay cool enough to fish into July, at least early in the morning, because of the limestone influence and the tree canopy.  A major reason for choosing this particular creek today, besides the usual solitude I find on certain sections, especially during the week, was that it was going to get warm and sunny, so I knew I would find some shade.  I also like hunting for holdovers, who end up in the right places by now, tucked up under overhanging trees, in pocket water, gliding in the deeper riffles.  The parr were up under the trees too, but some of them were out there competing with the transplants too.  As I said, plenty of bugs to go around right now.  I put roughly 3 hours in, so I was pleased with the results, even if, against all odds, one decent wild fish eluded me.  It was stained enough to throw a streamer, but I only brought the 10 foot 3 weight, and I was okay with my choice in the end.  It was hot, humid, and buggy on the walk out, but the ride home with the windows down (and no more manure smell) made for a cool, comfortable ride home on a beautiful spring afternoon.  Almost summery tomorrow, so I don't mind having to work....

If it stops raining I will retire this nymph, I promise.


2 comments:

  1. Nice catch and explanation. Thought for sure that streamer would have made another appearance after the beast from your last trip.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will come out again this spring, but there are a lot of variables to consider, I guess.

      Delete