Thursday, July 25, 2019

July 25, 2019 – Cooler Temps, Better Flows, Good Morning, Even Pictures – Northampton County Limestoner

Still going...




















After the last round of rain—just rain not the seemingly endless line of evening thunderstorms—the overnight temperatures dropped for a couple nights in a row.  I was ready to swear off trout after the last heat wave, but the prior couple of days found me mulling over possibilities.  It is a short break until hot weather returns this weekend and still a short early morning window, but a pair of 60 degree overnights was encouraging.  During my walk in Center City to my car tonight the air still felt less humid and crisper even though it reached the high 80s this afternoon.  I was up late after class last night, and was wide awake at 3 AM this morning, so I stayed up, got dressed, made coffee, and packed the car for a relatively short ride.  I arrived at the creek before 5:30 AM, so I was about 20 minutes early for sunrise, but there was enough gray light to suit up and take a walk downstream to some pocket water and runs I had in mind.  The water was up, probably pushing 30 to 50 more than normal, but even in the gray light, I could pick out rocks in the riffles.  Daylight would prove that the visibility was good for nymphing even if the flows added a new challenge or slightly changed the places fish would be hanging.

Some color and higher flows.
Before I ducked through spider webs and stepped through the muddy post-flood debris to enter the creek, I caught the attention of two foxes that were either sparring or courting.  They were too big to be kits, maybe last year’s young, but they were feisty and curious.  I bet they don’t see many people without dogs at this early hour.  They eventually spooked, but not as quickly as the typical fox.  I quickly worked this pocket water and a couple runs and only landed one little wild brown and lost another slightly better fish.  I just kept moving, confident that the magic hours of 7 to 9 or 9:30 AM would eventually pay off.  Even though water was moving, I could see and was getting good drifts, so I remained confident that something would happen before quitting time. When I reached my parking spot again, I had one more fish to show for the effort, so I spent some time in deeper water for about 30 minutes and finally landed a couple of nice fish in the 12 to 13 inch range. 

Some decent and feisty fish in the mix, maybe 5 out of 12.




















These better fish fought really well and used the heavier current to their advantage.  I remembered to keep my legs closed to avoid one of them shooting behind me in the waist deep water, and I was happy to have the bigger net.  After touching base with Tami at home and promising to quit around 9:30 AM so she could go to an appointment without leaving the boy home alone for too long, I took note of the 7:30 AM time.  For the next two hours, I had a steady pick of fish in riffles and pocket water.  I landed the vast majority, but I did drop a few little ones and one that felt decent.  By the time I reached a logical place to quit and turn back, I had counted an even dozen fish in the net.  

A pretty and solid average for the morning.




















Nothing really big, but along with the 8 to 10 inchers, I landed a handful of respectable and hard fighting fish for the third week of July.  A couple took a small caddis on the dropper, and with the tricos in the air, with lower flows I am sure other small bugs would have worked, but I had to use a pair of heavier and larger pheasant tail and Frenchie combos to get down to the fish.  The reliable pink tag fly on a jig hook accounted for most of the fish, but a Frenchie with a gold hot spot did well too.  Quitting time came a bit early, especially since I caught 2 or 3 fish at my last spot, but rush hour was winding down, so I left for home before 9:40 AM and was having breakfast with the boy by 10:45 AM.  We are heading towards the Laurel Highlands this weekend, and I am packing a rod or two in case opportunity presents itself again.  Even throwing a streamer for smallmouth is a possibility if conditions seem too hot for trout.

Didn't drop the old phone today, so I can end with some more pictures!




2 comments:

  1. Very nice! In and out before the bright sun and keeping the family happy too................You are a true Renaissance Man! Keep on posting!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bud. It's never without its perils, as you know, but I am still on my way to 100 or more this year!

      Delete