Friday, October 25, 2019

October 25, 2019 – Midday Success in Late October – Northampton County Limestoner

Fall colors.




















There was a moment this summer where I grew tired of typing the words Northampton County limestoner, but today was not one of those moments.  I finally had enough work completed that I could get out for a few hours without guilt, so I was just happy that I could take a relatively short drive and get into some fish.  Twice in the last week or so I thought a little rain would give Valley enough of a bump to nudge me away from my grading, reading, and writing for a couple hours, but the gages were quickly back down to 20 CFS, so I just kept working.  I don’t like to be this busy or productive, but I knew it was coming once I started another graduate program while holding down a full time job.  I am also on a working group for an accreditation process at my school—an honor I suppose for a junior faculty member, but I like my fishing time!  I still wrote a very rough draft of a paper due on Monday night before I left the house this morning around 10 AM, so I was not fishing until 11 AM, but the creek I chose was in average shape for this time of year with enough water to work with even in sunny conditions.  It is also small, so I didn’t have to worry about a wet crotch.  My new waders have since arrived late today, but this morning I was still working with my Simms that are in desperate need of a repair trip to Washington.  As long as I stayed thigh-deep, I was good, so lower flows came in handy for once.


Umm, fall colors.




















I did notice some small bugs in the air when I arrived and walked down to the creek.  They may have been olives smaller than size 20.  I also saw an isolated caddis or two, so I had a size 18 pheasant tail jig on the anchor and a weightless caddis soft hackle on the dropper.  Not one fish took the dropper, so it was just window dressing.  I thought of dropping a midge, but the pheasant tail, really more of a pt version of a walts worm, perhaps even a bottom rolling caddis imitation, picked up several fish in the pocket water I targeted, so I just fished instead of tying and retying and experimenting further.  I think I landed 8 fish and missed one with the net in well under three hours of fishing, so it was a fine day on the water.


Measure net got out today.
I landed a handful of typical small stream fish, 9 or 10 inch beauties, but I also landed one over 12, one over 13, and a solid 16 inch fish too.  A couple of the males were looking ready for love, getting those deeper, darker fall colors.  The largest fish was a mystery fish.  It was in good shape and fought well, but even as I fought it I thought in real time that is was not battling as well as a wild fish of a similar size would.  My educated guess would be stocker despite a blush of blue on the cheek and some good colors.  The tail and one of the fins did not seem right.  I have also caught many fish from this creek, and none of them have had this look; it did not have a mess of fused spots or anything, but it was just too spotted and too pale.  The creek does not get stocked in this area, and the only escapees I have tangled with have been club stocked rainbows that travelled miles.  In other words, I am NOT going on record saying I landed a 16+ inch wild brown today!  I enjoyed catching him nonetheless.  It's been a while since I have had that kind of bend in the rod.

Another one colored up pre-spawn.




















Because I had to target riffles and runs with some depth to them, I ran out of water more quickly than normal along this stretch.  I was spoiled by the higher water all summer that allowed fish to spread out more.  Before quitting, I dropped into a high percentage hole that only gave up an 8 inch fish the first time through, and this time I managed to hook and almost net a nicer fish in the 11 or 12 inch range—that would have been 9 fish.  I had one more potential spot in mind, so I checked my phone for the time.  It was just past 1 PM, so I figured I would try this last spot and call it good.  

A pair pretty of ones.

As I was slowly working my way into position, I thought I heard something big in the woods, so I stopped and looked around for someone’s dog behind me.  There was nothing behind me, but across the creek from me was a massive whitetail.  I told a couple of my buddies later today that it looked big enough to pull Santa’s sled, and it had at least 10 points too.  I tried to take half a dozen pictures with my phone, but none of them were worth posting here, unfortunately.  On the walk out, I also spooked another smaller buck, so they added a little excitement to the final fishless half an hour.  Like I said above, if you had told me I would be happy to type Northampton County limestoner again this year, I would have called you a liar.  But after a mere 45 to 50 minute ride home, I was grateful for a few stolen—well, earned—hours of fishing today, regardless of where I was.


Stocker a long way from home.




















No comments:

Post a Comment