Wednesday, February 5, 2020

February 5, 2020 – Gave the Fall Stockies a Go – SEPA Freestoner

You are killing me smalls....
I spent about 90 minutes fishing a local freestoner that gets a club stocking in the fall.  I fished it in late December with nearly identical results: three very small rainbows.  They are prettier and maybe fatter now from midging to their heart’s content, but only time adds length.  I got one fish tightline nymphing pocket water, which was fun, and I actually broke one off while dropping a midge under a dry fly—I am thinking my 6X was from my dad’s pack and had probably gone bad.  There was a small pod of risers, with one confirmed trout in the mix, but he did not take the dry.  I broke him off on the hook set, and then put the others down.  I did manage to get another in the same deep hole suspending a small pheasant tail under a bobber.  The hits were barely there, so it was good practice even if the fish were dinks.  

Midging up suckers.
I am most proud of the two suckers I also landed.  Talk about subtle hits there!  The one was a good 15 inches, I bet, and gave me a brief but fun fight.  The second sucker was about as big as the trout, and it caught the attention of one of the bald eagles, who no doubt love them some suckers (and small trout).  It was barely 40 degrees, but the day started out around the same temperature, so minus a slight north breeze it was a good winter day to be out.  I was not alone.  I recognized the car of one Chris H. in the lot as I was leaving.  All the fly fishing stickers give him away.  I did not run into him on the water, but when I texted him, he said he also got into a handful of fish.  Big rains coming, but I will watch the gages for a streamer window on Thursday or Friday.  I have class on Thursday and a couple meetings on Friday, but I am thinking that I can sneak in another 90 minutes if conditions look too good to pass up.

The one I am most proud of, wild too....





























No comments:

Post a Comment