Tuesday, April 7, 2020

April 7, 2020 – Hey, It’s Opening Day on a Tuesday – SEPA

The boy made stuff happen with the old Rapala CD5, and he let me catch one too.


























Word spread quickly today after the PFBC put out a press release that officially opened trout season statewide this morning.  I have a trout stream right down the street, so after working in the morning and having lunch, I took a bike ride down to check out the creek.  I have been meaning to check for a couple days now, but I was still under the impression that the old COVID 19 plan was in place, one mentored youth day, one opening day in mid-April.  Well, I did not see fish in my favorite holes, but that is not surprising, especially because the Comish did not want help stocking for good reasons.  However, once I got close to an easy stocking point, I saw 100 fish and an older guy landing three or four in a few minutes.  Someone said they stocked today.  Well, I decided to take the boy to the local reservoir, which usually gets stocked on the same day.  He got a new rod and reel for Christmas, but we sort of forgot about it in the garage until recently.  We fished for about 90 minutes with limited real estate to work with—it was pretty crowded!  He landed a bow and a brown on the CD 5, and he dropped one other.  Before we left, he let me take a few casts to catch one (the little kid in me wanted at least one).  I landed a brown and dropped one other while calling him over to gloat!  Opening Day on a Tuesday.  Strange times indeed.



8 comments:

  1. Strange time for sure. Glad you got out with the son!! Considering all options, I think the Commish made a good call here. My lake is closed sad to say, and after my Cardio said I am high risk, I will keep my waders dry for the time being! Keep on posting and be careful out there!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they say they met with the Gov, but it seems like a mixed message that State Parks are closed too? At least a bunch of streams that get stocked but have wild fish away from the crowds are back online early! I like elbow room, even more these days....

      Delete
  2. I had a feeling they were going to do this considering how NJ handled it. Glad you were able to get your kid out on a beautiful day.

    If you're looking for a laugh, PAFF hasn't disappointed with inane discussions on this very topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet! I don't know if I can stomach it this week, however.

      Delete
  3. My Dad worked 2nd shift. He literally took me out while I was still in diapers. I fished hard most of my life so if I miss some time this year I will not have been cheated. Last April I caught some of the best bass ever and felt I had figured out some real secrets on my favorite lake which gets light traffic during the week.......I was on fire with plenty of elbow room last spring. Like MacCarthur........I shall return! :)

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, RR. The fish will be there when your return, too.

      Delete
  4. Sucks that lorimer is closed. Park ranger kicked me out of there last week when i was on a lunchtime run. Should be a lot of fish around this summer tho. I normally couldnt give a rats a** about april stocked trout but with WFH every day i could totally bend a rod on lunch break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, you can find stockies near home. See what I did there?

      Delete