Monday, June 29, 2020

June 29, 2020 – Long Enough for the Boots to Dry Completely – Northampton County Limestoner


Low water, healthy but small

Twelve days.  That is about how long it takes for wading boots to dry out in my garage in all this humidity.  Man, I wonder if it has been that long since we had any steady rain too?  Twelve days since I last fished.  My butt is tired, but I did earn three graduate credits last week attending an intensive online writer’s retreat.  I did this for credit last summer, and it was just as long, but I think this one was tougher.  We moved totally to Zoom, but we did not cut back much of the program besides the meals together and the alcohol.  It was too hot to trout fish most places, anyway, so it was a good use of my time, and I generated a lot of poetry in ten days, which will help come fall and spring when I get stuck—always good to have a couple that just need another revision, another edit.  I was praying for rain this weekend, and it did happen to the north of us, but just storms and showers.  One of my favorites got a good spike on Saturday, but I had to catch up on my actual job on Sunday.  I thought maybe today would still show some of the benefits, but all I found were muddy banks, signs of flood, but low water again.  Trying to respect my fishy friends, I fished the early shift, from 5:15 AM to about 8:45 AM, and I found fish, but they were all smaller than what I was catching in the same holes a few short weeks ago.  Still, it was good to get out and catch 8 to 10 fish before rush hour. One took a drowned ant pattern on the dropper, and one took a pink bomb that I tied on for a deep riffle around 8:30 AM in a last ditch effort to catch one over 10 inches long.  The rest took a size 16 walts worm in shallow riffles and pocket water.   Unless this pattern changes, I am a bass or summer flounder fisherman, I fear.  I may have one longer trip west or north in me, however.

The early shift.  Come on rain!


No comments:

Post a Comment