Tuesday, September 22, 2020

September 22, 2020 – I’m Only Happy When It Rains – Berks County Limestoner

Pretty cold morning.

I had low expectations this morning but not that low!  I barely avoided a skunk with one small wild brown even though bugs were swarming like crazy at two different spots around midday.  These numerous adult caddis ended up just being a tease, as they had no intention of coming back to the water yet.  It was still a good sign of days to come (or some other guy tore them up tonight).  We need rain pretty badly, but the flows in Berks County were not that bad, actually.  The cold snap and stream alterations were more likely to blame.  The tropical storms messed up the first spot I visited and pretty badly.  In this same stretch this spring, I had a number of double-digit wild brown days and couple mornings up to 30 or more fish.  Most were small, but I was even surprised by a few 12 to 13 inchers.  All those holes were filled with yellow sand this morning.  And the water temp early was close to 56 degrees.  This creek has been above 70 for weeks, so I assume the fish moved to tributaries or hunkered in deep timber and undercuts to ride it out.  I saw signs of fish hidden deep in a couple log jams, but even as the air and water temperatures warmed, and the caddis swarmed, it was chub life.  Before leaving for home, I took a drive to another spot, and saw the same swarms high in the trees, but more low clear water and no signs of fish.  September can often be this way for me, so I was not surprised.  It is often an in-between time while fish migrate and adjust to rapid changes.  I should take their cue and relax, wait for rain, but sometimes I just need to take a walk with a fishing rod.

Count 'em?


2 comments:

  1. The Fish Gods don't like it when you razz people about bluefish dinner! :)

    Looks like significant rain coming......hope it helps!

    RR

    ReplyDelete