Tuesday, December 28, 2021

December 26 and 28, 2021 – Mild Temperatures and Low Water Continues – SEPA Limestoners

Pretty evening, small trout.

Well, I have off this week, and at least twice rain was promised and amounted to very little, but I had to fish a couple days anyway.  It has been hard to find the motivation while checking USGS graphs at all my spots within an hour or so, and I have not committed to a longer trip to a bigger creek yet—maybe later this week—so I did about as well as I expected.  I think I caught 3.5 fish in two days.  Sunday, I did not leave until around noon, deciding to try the later shift at an old favorite in Berks County.  I did a drive-by of two of my parking spots, and forgot it was a Sunday.  Spot one had too much activity in neighboring backyards, and spot two had a couple cars parked in the siding.  I paused in view of a honey hole, and saw at least one dude swimming a dog, maybe fishing too, so I had to take a 15-minute detour to another creek.  This creek has not been good since Ida, and I had previously sworn it off until at least late spring next year, but with few options I gave it one more go.  At least now I know to avoid it the rest of this winter.  I moved one decent fish on a bugger and landed an 8-incher.  I also know my pricey new Christmas net won’t let a dink slip through the mesh, so I've got that going for me?

A couple more and a little bigger today + need real rain.

Today, I got on the road by 9 AM at least, and I drove to a Northampton County Limestoner where I stuck at least one decent fish after the spawn.  Again, it had rained in the night but just barely, so the water was near drought conditions.   Even a couple springs that feed this one looked sadly in need of a recharge.  With the mostly cloudy day on tap, I was hopeful but still realistic about my chances.  I tried nymphing the warmest part of the day, but with no bugs hatching, the only action I had was on a jigged bugger.  I turned one decent one on Sam’s bugger earlier in the day, landed one on a small rubber-legged bugger about size 8, and eventually lost another fish on Eric’s black sculpin before quitting time.  The fish I landed and the one I nearly landed acted crazy in the low water, jumping half a dozen times each, so I don’t think the water was too cold.  There was just no bug life to draw them out of hiding.  I kept hoping to find a little concentration of even small fish to pass the time, but besides one that rose maybe two times and stopped, the three fish I messed with were the three fish I messed with.  I see more precipitation and mild temps in the forecast, so I know it’s going to happen one of these days.  It did not happen Sunday, and it did not happen today, though!  One more trip for an even 90 in 2021, so I have to get out again regardless?


5 comments:

  1. Tough stretch, but some rain is forecast.

    In case you don't hit 90, just want to say thanks for providing something to click on besides email and woodworking forums. :)

    Alway looking forward to a new post on your interesting, educational and cleverly written blog.

    Happy New Year to you and your readers!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RR! I appreciate the comments all year! I may scale back to weekly or periodic digests in 2022, since I have to write (and revise) a poetry collection/thesis, but if the blog can live through this busy year, it will live on ;)

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year - hanging in the Bahamas with my friend the Vid.... I may never travel out of the US again! Tight lines! See the Bomb reports?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jeez. The Omicronic is like the rhythm in that it's gonna getcha, apparently.

      Delete