Wednesday, February 16, 2022

February 16, 2022 – Sneaking Around a Couple Small Creeks – Berks County

May have missed this guy last month.  Pretty fish.

I usually have a class on Tuesday nights, so I often sleep in on Wednesday.  I knew it was going to get warm again this week, but my Thursday and Friday are totally booked up with meetings and appointments, so I tried my best to get up and out today.  I slept until 8:45 despite my best efforts, and I didn’t leave the house until 10:15 AM, but at least I knew I could fish until about 4 PM today and still have time to get home to teach a class online at 6 PM.  Once again, I am not used to these late starts, especially because it has meant that I actually see other dudes in some of my spots!  I guess there is a reason why I get out early when conditions allow.  At least I beat two other fishermen to my first spot this morning, and I landed a couple trout on a jigged bugger.  The best was about 13 inches, which was fun for a tiny creek.  I lost a decent fish, maybe even this one, the last time I fished this hole on this creek, so it was good to get a good hook set and an actual picture.  I caught a few more fish last time, however.

Far less snow melt at spot one, which probably helped my chances.

The other highlight here was getting a do-over at another hole.  The last visit, I found a pod of 8 to 10 inch fish, even one about 12 in the mix, and I stalked them without spooking them.  After landing a perfect cast, I caught the smallest fish in the bunch and it was over.…  Today, I got one a little better to take Eric’s bunny leech bugger, so that was something—and then it was over.  I also saw the first signs of early black stoneflies at this creek.  I have had some awesome days here when there are enough of them for fish to notice.  Maybe it was snow melt or high pressure or high sun, but they were a bit sluggish today and also spooky, so I decided to fish another spot about 15 minutes away.  Before I left for the second creek, I ran into one dude starting to fish below me, and another truck was in a small pull-off, just scouting.  I did not expect to see any anglers let alone two anglers, so it did make me wary of what I might find at the second stop, which is more well-known and accessible.

My second do-over with only slightly better results.

Of course I saw two cars at the second creek.  I still don’t know if it’s been my later starts, or winter fishing has caught on, or way more people work from home and make their own hours.  For as long as I have kept this blog, and longer, I cannot remember running into so many fishermen on weekdays on these little creeks, especially in what used to be most guy’s off season.  I guess I have done my own small part in advertising winter fishing, but my reach is far short of YouTube and the magazines and professional blogs.  Creek two is stocked trout water, but it has a decent population of wild browns that fluctuates year to year.  This year has been bad because of the storms and habitat destruction, but it’s still a tradition to fish this one and one other that I might hit next week at least once in the late winter/early spring before they are closed ahead of stocked trout season and Opening Day.

Only one from spot two.

Seeing two cars and actually seeing one dude fishing, I drove to a couple other spots to find parking and finally decided to park at a business and sneak into one favorite hole.  If I could just get one fish, it would be an accomplishment today, I figured.  The water here had that telltale color of snow melt, and while my feet were not cold at the first creek earlier in the day, they quickly got cold here.  That is a bad sign.  No bugs, no surface activity, and I moved nothing with a jigged bugger the first pass through.  I decided to rig up to nymph a couple bugs under an indicator in the deep, slow section of the hole, and I landed my one and only on a size 18 walts worm.  I am pretty sure it was wild, and a decent size for a wild fish here.  It had no fused spots, full fins, and beautiful parr marks.  I was not able to raise another from this hole, so instead of moving up or down and possibly running into one of the two parties I saw when I first arrived, I just called it good.  Three fish in close to four hours of fishing, even factoring in the drive to spot two and the search for open water, so not a banner day.  It was pretty typical for winter fishing, however.  Sadly, I am tied up on Thursday and Friday, as I mentioned above, but next week returns to normal, and the temps seem favorable. I may even start planning my first trip to Central PA this week if conditions remain pretty level and flows don't go crazy after the massive cold front on the way.

Far less snow left at spot two, and more of that dreaded gray color in the crick.



2 comments:

  1. Nice water and nice fish. Are you all in on jig head streamers now, or are there circumstances when you prefer one over a conehead?

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RR. Well, the mighty roberdeau was always a jigged streamer, and I have fished that as traditional streamer or a jig. I used to bring two rods, but with the smaller jigs, I can throw them with a 10 ft 3 wt or switch to nymphing with just a change of tippet size. I also have a 10'6" 4 weight rod, and a 10' 5 weight rod, so I can scale up for bigger creeks and the rivers. I don't throw cone heads much, and I have even less love for the fish skulls, but they do work for fishing streamers the traditional way, which I do plenty of with both types. Confused yet? Oh, and Eric gave me a bunch of jigs this year, so I have been fishing them instead of say, stoneflies, this winter!

      Delete