Tuesday, March 8, 2022

March 8, 2022 – A Reconnaissance Walk with a Fly Rod – SEPA Blueline

A little messed up, but long-term prognosis is up in the air still.

I technically have been off this week, but the weather has been a puzzle like most of this late winter.  It’s close to 80 degrees one day, and then it drops to 20 and blows for a day, then it swings back to the 40’s.  Of course, the trouts do not love these wild swings any more than I do.  Since I am off, I am trying to plan a trip out to Central Pennsylvania to fish with my buddy Sam.  Last year and the year before, the weather was much more predictable and warm too, so he was picking up guiding trips early.  I actually drove out and fished myself the last couple of early springs because he picked up trips, and with the lockdown and hit to the hospitality business that supplements his main gig, Sam had to work.  I am no stranger to the long drive and the long day solo, but I do miss the guy too!  The upside of this weird winter that is still hanging on between odd one-day warm ups is that he is available this week, but the damn weather won’t seem to cut me a break.  It was blowing 20 mph today, with gusts to 40, not to mention bright sun, and it may rain and snow pretty well on top of already high flows out there later this week too.  The last time I had the time to fish and the weather was like this, I just decided to do some recon on an old spot I used to visit, and it ended up being a fun day—and really just an excuse to be outside.  After our mediocre brookie opener, the Silver Fox had me going through this blog, and even photo archives that predate this, looking for pics of some past blueline success.  I did not have the time or motivation to head to any of the old NEPA brookie or brookie/brown mix spots I used to fish, but I did have the time to visit a small creek within an hour of home that is on the natural reproduction list.

A pair from 2015.  One was under the roots of the before and after shot here.

Expectations were low.  The last time I was here was two years ago and with the boy.  The water was high and dirty, but we did not move a thing with a streamer or even a Rapala.  There was some roadwork happening too, but that is now complete.  I had not seen this creek post-Ida either, which was another reason to check it out.  Well, it was pretty jacked up, like many streams I have visited this year.  I spent about 3 hours walking the creek, or driving to a couple access points and sliding down hills into the water when possible.  I say when possible because some of the banks were cut so deep by the floods that it would have been an 8-foot leap to the water.  I caught nothing.  Most importantly, even throwing a midge or two, I did not even find any of last year’s young of the year.  There is hope, however.  With the water low and clear, I spooked at least 4 fish, including one that was close to 20 inches.   Just getting within 50 feet of them in the deep, clear wintering holes was impossible today.  I almost wished I had the ultralight, but a spinner or plug making entry would have spooked them too, I am afraid.  Besides the 4 I spooked, I did stalk one other pig that eventually refused a stonefly after swimming a foot over to take a look.  I also had a decent 10 or 11 incher take a slow run at a jigged streamer before seeing me and quickly disappearing.  I wish there were signs of small fish, but at least these mature ones may find each other and make more babies, I hope.  I may rest this one for another couple years, but it did give me a reason to get outside for some color—not sure if it was sunburn or windburn, however.  Still hoping for a run out west this week, maybe Friday now.


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sadly, it feels like a punch in the gut seeing some of these former honey holes! I keep checking out different spots because many of my old favorites have not been the same this year. It is going to take some time....

      Delete
  2. Any time you see a 20" near your lure the heart's gotta flutter a little!

    Good skunk day for a question I have been wondering about. Bass fishing (OMG I SAID IT) I have noticed windy days bein productive for crank baits and spinner baits. I am not sure whether it is the broken up light or if the fish feel safer leaving cover actually.
    So the question I have does wind have a similar effect on trout maybe chasing a streeamer like you try when the water is high and stained?

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good one, RR! I'll ask you this instead: Is the spinnerbait bite so good in the wind because the shoreline is disturbed, so the macroinvertebrates are swirling around for the baitfish to eat, and so the bass start eating? I have not seen a wind correlation with trout, but I am sure it works that way on lakes too. I feel like the wind sends a lot of stuff into the water that spooks them, and it often comes with sun, which spooks them. And high pressure, which affects them too. Come to think of it, trout are punks!

      Delete
  3. Hey, RR asks the questions here! LOL

    Not dismissing the baitfish whirling dirvish theory, This is how I see it. Prespawn Coldfront wind shuts down the bite. Second day of coldfront NW, when the wind starts to diminish in the afternoon, the chance for a big girl is real good. Several days of warm breeze, not cold front driven, good chance for a great day, dinks through big girls. I always attributed it to water a few degrees warmer stacking up down wind and the prespawners love warmth.
    Fall, cold front be damned. any wind is good for the crank or spinnerbait bite. If it coincides with the last hoorah/feed bag thing, it's your lucky day!

    Maybe some of your lurkers might chime in. (We know your out there!)

    The wise man who mentored me said something worthwhile. "Don't obsess on the why, just learn what works!"

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur with that, RR. Trout also get accustomed to stability. So if it blows for three days, they are eating regardless. Same with heat or cold. The day after a front, even if the conditions persist, they will eat. I am supposed to fish on 3/23 with my bass boys, so I will ask Kenny and Capt Chris about wind on the Susky and the bite. He spends probably 250 days out there and on the North Branch.

      Delete