Friday, January 6, 2023

January 6, 2023 – Sometimes I Get a Sixth Sense about these Things – Northampton County Limestoner

A weird afternoon of extremes.  I see (future) dead fishy.

I made my first trip of 2023 to one of a handful of old reliable creeks within an hour of home.  I had a feeling with rain ending, falling temperatures, and fronty conditions that this was not going to be a banner afternoon.  I still wanted to get out and fish, and I figured no one else would be fishing here on a not so nice day.  Flows were up and stained, so I tossed a jigged streamer in some deeper water for about an hour with only one small guy eating and jumping off on the first leap.  I did not take a water temperature, but my spidey senses were telling me that nothing was moving for meat today, at least on this creek in this weather.  I rigged up with a couple bigger, heavier bugs (for here, which is a small creek pushing 50-60 CFS on a high day, I bet) and I eventually landed one decent wild brown in the soft seam of some pocket water.

A survivor that won't survive the winter!

The rest of this beat was, well, beat.  To add insult to injury, or at least novelty to the proceedings, the only other fish in the net was a holdover golden that ate a walts worm in a hole that I was really hoping would hold at least one more wild brown.  This is a Class A and Trophy Trout creek, but they stock upstream, so I sometimes get a random rainbow.  This is the first golden.  This fish was a wanderer and survivor, at least.  You know, I managed to get through all of 2022 without catching one of these, I believe, even from the Wissy or Penny.  I had a bad feeling about the day, and I was right, but I am hoping this is not an omen for the entire new year!  I thought I saw her in the hole, even with the stained water, and was like, “What are you doing here, girl?”  I definitely saw her move for my bugs.  With nothing hatching but a couple midges when the sun popped out for all of 30 minutes, I should not have been surprised that she was hungry.  I wish the wild boys had gotten the message, too.  I fished through drizzle, wind, sun, ominous clouds, and the first full moon was rising as I pulled into my driveway.  I get a sixth sense about these bad trips, but at least I caught something, did not fall in, and made it home in one piece.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting how animals can be active or not active on a whim. Was babysitting the last 3 days at my daughters in Allentown. Saturday not a squirrel moving in the woods behind her house............Yesterday it looked like a squirrel convention. I guess those cold blooded trouts don't need to eat too much in the cold winter water.
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely, RR. I know they are tuned into a lot more factors than we are. With all the time I spend out there, I think that is what I meant by sixth sense. I get a hunch that they are feeling something I am feeling, just much more acutely. Hunters get it too, I know! Btw, on warm day, you could get on steady stockies along the parkway on the LL! Put the rods in a stroller and go ;)

      Delete