Thursday, February 8, 2024

February 8, 2024 – A Walk in the Park with a Fly Rod on a Lovely Day for Humans not Necessarily Trouts – Valley Creek

I found out I didn’t have Friday morning to fish this week, and I needed to get outside for a while, so I let it warm up a bit and then took a drive and a walk.  I had a full work afternoon, so this would be a 90-minute excursion in high sun at 10 AM, and my expectations were  appropriately low.  I was secretly wishing that midges or early olives would be active, but I kept that mostly to myself—especially the olives thing!  There were midges, but I saw no steady risers, counting only two dimples in likely spots in the time I was there.  It was lovely out, so dudes were already there or assembling as I left, but I did get some elbow room.  I was actually able to fish two or three holes I really wanted to check out without anyone in sight, but that is not to say I was the first one to visit today based on the boot prints.  I caught 2.5 fish on a jigged bugger in a couple deep runs near cover.  It was really just an excuse to get outside in the short window my day/week afforded, so the pretty little fishes were a bonus.  No rain, so I will be “stones” deep in a bigger creek this weekend if all goes to plan.   Ankle deep at least if plans change ;)

2 comments:

  1. 2.5 trout..........lovin that!

    Gotta get down to the Cumberland Mine.
    That's where I mainly spend my time.
    Make good money, five dollars a day.
    Made anymore, I might move away. G.D.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one! You know, it is easy to quantify fish encounters by percentages when it's slow. On a thirty fish landed type of day, it might require a pitch counter to see how many you touch with a hookset ;)

      Delete