 |
| Eric's bugger got us started. |
I worked the
early shift this morning and caught at least a dozen trouts, a mix of browns
and holdover bows, including a really nice small stream fish as a bonus. I was expecting much cooler water
temperatures, but I was dealt mid-sixties, so fish were good but also not that
active—with the overnight temps in the 50, I was hoping for better, but I am
still learning this creek in different seasons and have noted that next time mid-September
is better than late August. They would
eat if you put it in front of their faces, and I guess I put it in front of at
least a dozen faces between 7 AM and 11 AM.
They were tight to cover and mostly in holes with current, not riffles
or seams. Even though it was humid and gnatty,
and I was wet wading, there were signs that seasons are changing rather
quickly. Some leaves falling, wildlife
moving about, including three turkeys and a couple small bucks. I did not see any aquatic bug life, and I tried
a weenie and a drowned ant on the dropper without takers, but fish would eat
buggy looking bugs. I caught one fish,
the one that opens this post and my first of the morning, on Eric’s small
stream bugger, but I caught the rest on big bugs, small bugs, a perdigon, a big
prince jig, even Josh’s bug I found stuck in my drying patch. After loosing my small purple CDC dropper tag,
I noticed what we are now calling the Funky Dutchman itching to get fished as
my dropper. Josh broke a rod when we
were fishing last Sunday, so I let him borrow one of mine. His fly was bycatch when I broke down that
rod for the drive home. It did not slay,
as it has for him in the past, but I did catch a few fish on it before I hung
it in a tree on a hero hookset in a tight spot.

 |
| The best of the morning with some early average fish. |
I did get a
couple things right: Flows were perfect, like late-June flows, the kind of flows
when I can catch 30 fish on this creek in the same amount of time. The rains we got in recent weeks also moved
some stuff around or slightly altered holes.
I caught my best fish of the morning behind a logjam, not in front of a
logjam, because the hole is now further downstream by a yard. A nascent beaver dam in a side channel somehow
created a deeper spot in a favorite riffle, and a good 11-inch fish came out of
the deeper spot. There were only bows in
a spot I thought would be good summer holding water, but maybe they just outcompeted
the browns in there today. None of the fish got stressed from fighting me
and my 10-foot 3 weight, but I still decided to quit at 11 AM anyway and not
fish another long, usually productive beat.
That stretch is also mostly pocket water with few holes and longer walks
in between them. Fish did not seem to be
active in random pockets or seams, as I noted above, so I decided to save that stretch for another visit on a cooler, buggier day.

 |
| A lot of holdover bows and Josh's Funky Dutchman digging up more browns. |
The other thing
I got right was the assumption that no one else would be on this stretch. The only actual signs of life in the woods were
deer trails when I had to bushwhack. No
other footprints or bobbers in trees or worm containers. A good number of cooperative fish and some solitude
was what I needed today after very social week at work (and last weekend at the
Josh Jam). Because I ran into a road
closure on the way up to this creek, which delayed my typical “Dawnstalker” (Larry’s
new name for me) start time by 20 minutes, I took the scenic route home. The route follows the creek for a while, and
I saw no one else out at 11:30 AM as I made my return trip. With how muddy the Skuke looked last week,
not to mention the great flows in this trib, I thought the Delaware would look
much less fishable. It looked really good,
maybe not wading good, but boats were out there fishing. That would have been my other plan this
morning had the gage shown a bit more wade-friendly, but I am glad I got up
early and fished this morning. I like trouts.

 |
| A real sexy spot and my last decent brown of the morning. |
I am looking
forward to the shorter days and longer nights, and I hope the overnight temperatures
stay cool even if we hit 90 degrees during the upcoming week. A busy work week ahead, but I do have the
long weekend coming up and may suck it up and rise early at least one day. Go figure: The summer grind is less of a grind
if I can anticipate comfortable and productive fishing conditions. I think there is more rain coming, as
well. I will not be at the beach next
weekend mourning the end of summer, but I may be in NEPA jumping the gun (again)
on the fall fishing. Spoiled, I guess? I really should not call a dozen cooperative
fish in four hours of fishing in late August jumping the gun. I am certainly grateful for that and excited
about even better days on the water in the coming weeks and months. It won't be long now before it gets real.
 |
| Bonus pic of a small stream beauty. |
No comments:
Post a Comment