Sunday, September 13, 2026

September 13, 2026 – A Pennsylvania Trophy Punctuates an Otherwise Mid Mid-September Outing – NEPA

A Pennsylvania native

An 8 AM start is late for me, but even giving the storms some additional time this morning to pass slowly west to east, I still had to contend with periods of very heavy rain during my drive.  I took my time at home and drank a leisurely coffee while hoping the weather folks had gotten it wrong.  They often do, but the radar on my phone was not lying today.  Eventually, I just had to go for it and hope my plan worked.  It was pouring so much when I was about to start the ‘Ru at 6 AM that I had to grab a rain jacket just to run from the front door to the car.  I knew if I headed due north or, worse, north and east, I was going to run into flash flood waters, but in doing my research last night and this morning, I knew that parts to the north and west of here might not take the full brunt of the storms.  I was right, maybe too right.  I was counting on at least half an inch of rain to spike the creeks in this region, but they appeared to be pretty unaffected—or so low previously that they did not register a bump.  Even though I had packed the rod for it, it was not streamer chunking conditions, even though it stayed cloudy until noon and was streamer chunking conditions somewhere in PA today.  I did catch my first fish on a black jigged bugger on the nymphing rod, but I switched to bugs when I worked an entire prime run with nothing more to show for the effort than a fallfish taking the bugger on the fall. 

A pretty good start.  Maybe I should have been here at 6:30 AM ;)

I caught some trout, like three maybe four of them, and the water temperature was 62 F, but the minnows and chubs were dominating.  I guess the water temps have just been yo-yo-ing, and that does not make the trout trust that summer is over.  This was pretty big water too, so minnows feeling this safe was not a good sign that the trouts were on the prowl.  I gave this first spot about 90 good minutes based on the early success and the potential to find a better fish in the deeper, bouncier spots, but I knew when to throw in the towel and head for a potentially cooler tributary.  It was still cloudy and drizzly when I made the 15 minute drive to the next spot.  I was secretly hoping for a long shot, that this one would have gotten a rain bump even if the water had not yet reached the bigger creek, but that was not the case.  I fished it anyway but limited my visits to three prime spots with elevation changes and some current and depth.  They were good stops, and one of them was really good.

Stop two produced some pretty brown trout.

You probably saw the big brookie that opens this post and have been wondering when I was going to get to the day’s highlight?  Well, it was a highlight for sure.  This thing was at least 10 inches long, likely half an inch longer.  She hit the black jigged bugger that had kicked off my day with a decent brown.  I actually caught a really pretty brown on the bugger in this same hole not two casts before landing this PA native.  The nature of this creek washes out the colors quite a bit and sometimes makes the browns exceptionally beautiful, but it does not always cast the brook trout in the most impressive colors.  That said, I am 100% certain that this is a wild fish, my second over 10 inches this year.  Just amazing and even more special following a rather middling morning, even for September, which itself can sometimes be pretty meh.

She got the full photoshoot as quickly as I could.

While keeping her wet and minding the late morning water temps, which may have been 65 not 62 at this hour, I gave her the full photoshoot and then let her go in a quiet spot.  She shot right for an undercut bank with plenty of energy.  This made me more hopeful that fish were feeling good here despite the noon hour approaching, but my next spot produced an average wild brown and the hole after that, one that is a proven honey hole, produced a dink and some short hits.  I knew it was time to go.  Honestly, the humidity and the gnats were getting to be a bit much.  I was in waders and a sun hoodie, so I was not all that comfortable at this point.  When the sun came out, which it was starting to do at this hour, it was downright terrible.  Sun and 90% humidity is not fun while wet wading, let alone in waders!  My fishy September rolls on, and I have a really cool event coming up in a couple weeks that I will share more about soon (think: one day Mayfly Project vibes), but I am still looking forward to actual fall.  

Yeah, one more.



No comments:

Post a Comment