Monday, May 22, 2017

May 22, 2017 – More Tip(pet) Drills and Airlock Indicator Experimenting in the Rain – Wissahickon Creek

A slow steady rain all afternoon.




















The rain was not all that bad, steady, but not heavy.  Plus, it was warm at mid-day.  I only had a small window to fish, maybe 3 hours, so I maximized fishing time with zero travel time, heading back to the Wissy near my house.  I started at a section that I have not fished in a month or more, a deep, scoured-out run where I guessed a few had to be left.  It is not a place that is easily fished with bait or lures, as it’s just too deep and fast.  That was pretty much the plan this afternoon: hit the Wissy’s greatest hits and skip the dead spots in between.  Also, I am heading to the Little Juniata tomorrow, so I wanted another round of practice with the indicator tippet, and I also wanted to try out the Airlock indicators in some slower holes.  I had equal success with both, so I hope I get some sleep tonight and can have a great day tomorrow.  If the sulfurs are on, I may not even be fishing subsurface, but I will be ready for whatever.

Skinny but looking good otherwise.




















After catching a couple at the first hole on the tight-line rig, I slipped on an indicator and headed up to a long, deep hole above.  I was only going to give it a shot for a couple minutes with the Airlock indicators, but I ended up catching 5 or 6 more fish here while slowly working my way up to the head.  Fish did not have the piss and vinegar here that they have had in the fast, oxygen rich runs, but they were all in good shape, albeit a little skinny.  The Airlocks are great, especially because no tippet is too small in diameter to lock onto, and they are easily adjustable too.  A small one was also able to hold up a couple heavy nymphs in decent current, so I am a fan so far.

Only one brown today, but one of the better fish landed.




















Following the bonus round in the slower water, I walked back down to give a good spot that yielded nothing the first time another shot—and landed a fish, which is nice.  I then hoofed it back to the car and drove to another nearby section of the creek where I had access to two or three more deep, oxygen-rich runs.  I sent Eric to one of these holes on Sunday night, and he got at least one, but I was happy to hook two more here too.  I also missed a couple, but it’s a tough hole, and that’s the reason the fish last there, I suppose.

A fatty to end the trip.




















There was one last spot that I had not fished this spring, but it fit the bill for the necessary conditions: deep, enough current to stay oxygenated, and not easy to fish with bait or spinners.  I was happy to stick two more here in a short time, high-sticking the deepest, fastest section of the run.  I also landed what was probably the fattest, healthiest fish of the afternoon, though maybe not the longest.  It was getting close to bus stop time, so I quit on a high note, happy to get another day of practice in before the long drive to State College.  If nothing else, today’s trip will help me sleep well tonight.  I covered a lot of ground on foot to catch 12 fish!


2 comments:

  1. Two nice Wissy posts! I compliment your ability to find those kind of numbers this late in the season! Looking forward to your Central PA posts..............been searching some stuff about the Poe Paddy camping area for the fall, Less than a month till school is out forever. Your answers to all my questions will hopefully stream line my plans. :)

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, RR! That is a beautiful are and creek. I may even meet you out there for a day...

    ReplyDelete