Thursday, May 4, 2017

May 4, 2017 – The Fourth is Strong in This One – Wissahickon Creek with Joe

The kid's still got it.  Joe on his way to at least 15 on the (barbless) Rapala CD 3 this morning




















My dad arrived at my house at 6:30 AM this morning and, after suiting up, we took a short ride into Philly to fish for the recently stocked and left behind.  Even before the stocking this week, I had a couple silly fishing mornings on the creek, so I was hoping that I could get my dad on a mess of fish.  Well, he’s still got, folks.  He caught at least 15 on the Rapala, along with a dozen bass, rock bass, and sunfish, and with only a boost here or a pull there, he traversed the mighty Wissahickon gorge dry, clean, and happy, I hope.


Silly fishing, but fun once in a while!




















I also had a good day, losing count after 20 trout on the long rod.  Once again, we got mugged by a guy who caught “10 fish in the same hole last night” and must have thought this was the only place he could catch 10 more on a creek that has a dozen miles of stocked water.  My dad moved on to quieter water, but I stayed in the hole and caught an even 10 fish while my mugger caught nothing.  Evil?  Maybe, but maybe he’ll avoid me next time he sees me, especially if he’s with a buddy to whom he wants to brag about his prowess with the trout!  Speaking of bragging about prowess with the freshly stocked trout…. my dad and I could have stayed in that one stretch and caught 50 fish, but we took a walk to find some solitude instead.


He's out there somewhere in the gorge.




















We didn’t catch 50 more, but we picked away at fish until we quit at 11 AM and hiked back to the ‘Ru.  The water temp bounced back after the rain too; it was back to 61 this morning, which means more fishing to come!  I had to report to the office for a meeting at 1:30 PM, so I needed another coffee, some lunch, and a shower.  What a beautiful spring day and a good morning out with one of my first fishing partners, who still can’t out fish his son but who can hold his own—in honor of May the Fourth (Be with You) let’s called it a reversal of the master/padawan relationship.... We will spend 5 days on a boat together in Canada later this month, so good thing we like each other and aren’t competitive!  I will just go on record saying that I have out fished him from the back of the bass boat every year since I was 20 or 21 years old….


Not a lot of browns, and his one had a run in with a bird of prey, I think.
























10 comments:

  1. Nice post! Glad Dad got into them! We had career day today and the Electrical Teacher who was in my room said he just started fly fishing and caught his first trout on a fly. I directed him to your blog so hopefully you have a new student!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion this looks very interesting. Just starting out it's great to have the suggestions where to fish in the area. BTW thanks for the help Friday. Harry

      Delete
  2. That is awesome, Ron. You and my dad are now my marketing team (if I had something to sell!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well let's think for a minute. A Trout Nut/Blogger who is also an English Professor..............a book or two is an obvious extension.
    :)

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post as always and some pretty pix of the crick...hell, I'd buy that book mentioned above...I just hope I can witness the force down in the gorge one of these days! I'm having fun plodding along, but would definitely be in learn mode- watching. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it could be coming, fellas! I have to start a new degree program soon to move up the chain at the college, so I have some ideas in the works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you could be the Joe Humphreys of PHL and start a fly fishing course at your university like he taught at PSU!! Bill

      Delete
  6. Looks like a good trip. I got home last night and decided to hit pennypack in lorimer this morning while my trout skills are still at peak. It looked pretty cleaned out and I only managed a few fish. Man I was spoiled with all those streams full of wild browns and bows. Now its back to catching sausages with fins. IMO the wild rainbows look so much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are some nice, fishy-acting and looking, fish close to home, Pete. They are taking caddis emergers and midges in the tailouts, any nymph presented well in the deeper runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im putting the little stuff down for a while. Going to NJ to hopefully catch some gators tomorrow.

      Delete