Saturday, September 30, 2017

September 29, 2017 – Different Day, Different Results on the Big D – Delaware River

More fun with filters: Stylized treacherous beauty.




















After having a good day earlier in the week, chasing smallies on the fly rod, I figured I would try to find another productive spot or two.  I have fished the river a bit over the years from a boat, but finding accessible spots that fit the bill not only for bank or wade fishing, but also fly fishing is a different story sometimes.  The area I targeted today was in New Jersey, actually, only because the access to the PA side is tough with miles of rock walls, initially constructed back in the day, I assume, to protect the canal levees.  I thought of Tom C and his comments about bringing a rope with him to the Lehigh River, even Batman and Robin climbing the side of buildings in the campy 70’s version, but I decided to cross the river and find easier access instead.  I drove and walked more than I fished today, but I caught a few fish for all the effort, and I found legal, accessible spots for the future.

Made me want to trout fish, unfortunately!




















The topography or geology of the area I fished today, even though it was probably only 10 miles from the location of my previous trip, was quite different.  It felt like a trout river, and I even tried nymphing some pocket water after seeing caddis in the trees and some small stoneflies hatching.  Fry, perhaps shad still making their way back to the ocean (?), are feeding everywhere in the flat water, but at this time of year they could be any type of young of the year.  I bet the striped bass are having fun in the evenings!  The wading was a bit hairy, and even though I brought my staff, I left it behind in the ‘Ru for some reason.  I was tired from a long day of work on Thursday, but I waded as aggressively as I felt comfortable doing, at least for the first couple of hours.  I fished and explored from 10 to 2, and I only tagged a few small fish.  

Still put up a fight at this size, but they were hard to come by today.


































The weather had changed, a cold front was still moving through, so the high pressure and wind was a big change from the last two weeks.  I am sure that contributed to the lock jaw.  I tried it all:  I went smaller, different colors, deeper (and lost plenty of flies that way, of course), faster, slower, even hung a small wet fly off the back of the swinging bugger.  My casting was better, however, even in the wind, and the area I fished was gorgeous, so it was still a good day.  

A bit smaller today!
I will try this area again next year or in a different season because it looks too fishy not to produce, unless it gets pressure that I am not aware of.  There is a boat ramp or two nearby, but boats can only pass through here, not slowly fish every pocket and run.  My trip on Wednesday was definitely in a less accessible area, and that has been an experience I have had with the Delaware River, in general, and one that probably ensures the sale of jet boats for years to come: if you find spots that are hard to reach, the fishing improves exponentially.  I guess I will just have to work harder next time... and bring a rope ladder.

I'll be back on a better day.
























No comments:

Post a Comment