Friday, November 17, 2017

November 17, 2017 – Slipping and a Sliding on a Windy, Sunny Day – Lehigh River

Sporty.
I have had a busy week on the home and work fronts, and I spent last weekend on a food and drink bender with some old (now older) friends in Asbury Park, NJ, so I was itching for a fishing trip on Thursday.  The boy woke up sick that morning, however, so he and I spent the day home comparing the classic King Kong to the Peter Jackson jaunt from 2005 to the Skull Island film of last year—I know which one I prefer, but the verdict is still out for the boy.  No, it’s not the 1976 version, either, though I am sure Jessica Lange made an impression on another 10 year boy when the film made it to VHS back in ’78 or ‘79.  I think the boy finally stopped coughing and passed out around 11:30 PM that night, so I had to listen to him cough, poor kid, while I graded papers before going to bed, hoping that tomorrow would be a better day for both of us.

Jersey fresh weekend: mitches, blow outs, pork roll and many flights of fancy beers in the local breweries.

































Friday is the day I take the boy and a neighbor kid to band practice at 8 AM, so I was up, hoping that Lukas did not need another sick day.  A family meeting was held, and his fate was decided: not band practice or lessons with all the coughing, but his teacher should listen to him hack for a day instead of me or mom.  After squeezing the boy and his backpack into the Subaru loaded with all my fishing stuff, I dropped him off at school and was heading north by 9 AM.  It was windy and sunny, and it got windier still as the day progressed, probably gale force at the shore, the kind of NW shot that will send a T-Hex 200 yards into the surf if it doesn’t blow the surf out past the bars.

Best intentions: See, there's a sign and everything.
I wanted to be home by 4 PM to let Tami go out with a girlfriend for happy hour or something, so I stopped about an hour into my drive, just past the Lehigh Tunnel, and found some water to fish.  In an effort to give spawning fish a break, I figured I would target some nice holdovers in the big river.  As luck would have it, I drove right past a familiar landmark and realized that Tom C. had taken me to a spot near here, so I figured what the heck.  We didn’t have much action at this spot earlier in the year, but it certainly looked fishy at the time.  I sort of felt like a bad friend, but I knew Tom C. would be happy that I found some fish at one of his honey holes!

Wild?  Or just a really quality stockie?  Had the blue spot behind the eye and all.




















After a short walk, I arrived on the river, and the conditions looked great.  I was rigged up to toss a streamer, but the flows were not up and the water was pretty clear, so it took going down deep with a couple tungsten nymphs to hook up.  Fish took both a walt’s worm and a beadhead caddis in size 18-ish.  Despite favorable water conditions, it didn’t take long to determine that I had brought the wrong wading boots for the occasion.  I usually toss in my felt bottoms as a back up when packing, and I could have used them (with studs) today, but I just had rubber with studs, which was a bit tricky with the slime from leaf decay all over the already rounded river rocks.  A slip cost me a picture of a gorgeous rainbow that measured over 17 inches in the measure net.  The barbless hook must have slid out already, so despite being in the net, he took a swim when I nearly did.  In windy 45 degree conditions, I am happy it was him and not me!  Yes, I am aware that I took a tumble with the same boots on the Brodhead last month, but it’s the boots, not that I am too stubborn to carry a wading staff (Okay, it’s both. I'll admit it).

Another pretty brownie.




















I ended up catching a handful of quality fish between 13 and 15 inches, so the fish have been eating well and looked fat and healthy.  Besides the big rainbow, I got at least one more, and I landed two browns too.  The browns looked wild, fittingly enough, as I tried to avoid them today, but the same thing happened with my best intentions on a heavily stocked section of the Brodhead last time.  I really need to start surf fishing, I suppose, maybe Sunday or Monday if my old buddy Dolf can get out.  He and I have been trying to plan something for the last week or so.  I saw birds, bait, boats and whales last Sunday in Monmouth County as I sipped a latte sans fishing equipment on the sands of Bradley Beach, so Thanksgiving and early December might just produce this year! .

A fat rainbow, though not the little piggie I dropped.....
























6 comments:

  1. Interesting. I would call those fish wild. Anyway its striper time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was my call, but there were signs like fin wear that said otherwise too... NW winds make me cast like a hero, so I may scout around tomorrow on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some smaller keeper bass and some gator blues on Saturday. Looking a beach run Wed

      Delete
  3. Nice report and pictures. Thanks. Dave Kile - Paflyfish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is totally enthusiastic and informative.
    el capitanos offshore 7956 2nd Ave S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33707 (941) 468-8692el capitanosoffshore

    ReplyDelete