Friday, May 18, 2018

May 17 and 18, 2018 – The Front, It Stalled, Yeah?? – A Couple of the More Local Limestoners


That was some sky!
The skies were ominous when I left Philadelphia for home after teaching on Tuesday, and the power even went out at home for a couple hours, but after coming in with some fury, this front just decided to hang around for a few days, not always doing all that much.  There were periods of heavy, localize rain, including a cell that hit the Saucon Valley just before I fished the area on Thursday.  I had to exchange a pair of leaking bootfoot waders if I didn’t want to wade the surf this month in stocking foot waders (not fun, unless you like a lot of sand under your arches and between your toes and Swiss cheese leaking), so I packed my streamer rod in case and, in a break in the showers, gave the muddy Saucon a try for the first time since the winter.  Besides one half-hearted bump while highsticking a bugger through a deep run and one heart-stopping follow by a pig that didn’t commit, my plan did not really work out.  The creek was muddy not stained, so I shouldn’t have expect much, but one nice one would have made the afternoon.  At least I will have a new (and free) pair of waders arriving in the mail by Monday (45 minutes of driving, and not my size in stock!).

Just stained, and plenty of survivors in the Park.




















I woke up today, after listening to the ever-changing forecasts last night, and expected more floods, but the gauge at Valley looked great.  I was still reluctant to fish the creek, not knowing the extent of the damage from a water line break/chlorine spill and ensuing fish kill last month, but I headed for the lower end of the creek, hoping that fish had fared better there.  I was ready to switch to a streamer the minute the creek started to rise, but that never happened while I was there today.  Instead, there was just a healthy flow, accompanied by a good stain to cover my approach, pretty much a nymph fisherman’s dream conditions.  By sneaking up and fishing broken water and riffles, along with overhangs and roots and other stick-ups, I probably caught 15 fish, from 4 inches on up to 11 or 12 inches.  All the fish took a basic Frenchie nymph, and besides chunking a streamer for maybe 20 minutes before I left, I was able to Czech nymph the entire time.

At least 6 decent fish took a Frenchie, including this little chubby one.




















By using two small tungsten flies, I was able to fish very shallow riffles and runs, where fish were likely waiting for caddis and other nymphs today.  I could have taken the dropper tag off because nothing touched my top fly!  They did eat the anchor with gusto, though.  I started getting brave after landing a good half a dozen fish over 8 inches (and many others on the smaller side) and began tempting fate by dropping the Frenchie in some hairy spots, looking for that one.  I never lost the fly, but I never found anything over 12 inches either.

I didn't need the rain gear, especially black rain gear...
A couple deep holes were very stained, or at least the depth compounded the effects of the stain, so I made a note to come back and throw a streamer in a couple of these spots.  Granted, it was now 1:45 PM, and the sun was peeking out at times, but I did move a bunch of fish and had a bunch of nippers.  Again, no big fish committed, but I did move two Valley-respectable fish who turned back after a short pursuit.  Good signs, at least.  Hindsight is, well, hindsight, so I decided to be content with a day of numbers on Valley, and a day to Czech nymph Valley, to boot, instead of second-guessing my decision not to throw meat at them.  There is more rain on the way, or so the meteorologists say, so now that I know there are plenty of survivors in the creek, I can always return early next week.










































5 comments:

  1. I am surprised by the clarity of Valley and the Wissy after this rain. I drove over Chester and the Brandywine yesterday on the way to my bass lake and I saw chocolate milk! Unfortunately I was told no boats out today as they had opened some gates to relieve pressure on the dam......ugh!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valley seems to come back in minutes at times! But I was surprised when I crossed the Wissy this am. We had road closures on Wednesday and today it looked fishable. Go figure...

      Delete
  2. Good to know Valley is still fishable. Thanks for the report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hope that upstream of Chesterbrook and downstream in the Park re-populate the affected section over time, Dave.

      Delete