Wednesday, May 2, 2018

May 2, 2018 – Got My First Sunburn, and I Wasn’t Alone on a Wednesday – Brodhead Creek

Some new trees, both visible and less visible.




















I spent roughly four hours on the Brodhead today nymphing some favorite pocket water that I have not visited since the fall.  I know driving 90 minutes one-way to fish 4 hours, much of that slowly wading in rough, deep water to get into position—casting with my feet, I like to think—followed by more than 90 minutes back home in traffic is not great math, but it was 87 degrees in the Poconos today, so there was no way I was fishing in Philly!  I was surprised to see a handful of fly guys on this particular stretch, especially on a Wednesday morning, but the profile of the creek continues to grow with articles and book mentions, so I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised, and I know I am not the only regular who needed to play hooky on a day like today.  Honestly, though, I would have preferred 65 or 70 degrees not this nonsense this early in the spring.


Big mayfly imitations and caddis worked, on the stockies at least.

































There were a lot of bugs active, including caddis, midges, olives, and even a decent number of big mayflies, likely Hendricksons or Quills.  I am no entomologist , but I know large mayflies when I see them.  I am not surprised that a big soft hackle pheasant tail jig got the job done on a few fish, while the caddis larva took the others.  No wild browns came out to play this afternoon, although I did break off a good fish early that got into water too heavy for me to handle him, but it was a bluebird day with a strong South wind blowing, so not ideal conditions.  Still, it did my heart good to tussle with about 7 strong stockies and holdovers in one of my favorite pieces of water and get bounced by a couple others that came off.  I was tired from my long Tuesday, and I lost a bunch of flies to all the new sunken tree branches deposited on this stretch of water, but I had fun and I didn’t get wet—although that would not have been a disaster today.  The water was so cold that I wasn’t uncomfortable with the heat until I had to hike back down the railroad tracks to the Subaru around 2:30 PM.  

Toothy and good colors, but stocked.




















I have a busy Thursday, but I may sneak out locally if the heat doesn’t keep me indoors.  Friday, the boy has an early dismissal and I am on duty, but rain looks likely for the weekend, along with more normal temperatures.  I am about ready to chase a striped bass or some racer blues entering the bay, so at the very least, I can hide in the garage and get some saltwater gear together if I don’t get out fishing again until the weekend.  I have got to leave the sunscreen out every morning now too! 























4 comments:

  1. I thought you only chase stripers in fall.........

    Nice stockies. I cant wait to come home and chase stripers and the blues if the blues ever show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The full moon just passed, so they should be in the bays now or very, very soon, Pete! The yellow-eyed monsters. I mean....

      Delete
  2. Beautiful but very tough waters to fish. I love that hole behind that big rock and up above it but the water is fast and the rocks are slick. Might head out Sunday morning

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure! A better late May early June stretch to fish... I just love being there, so I always push it a bit with CFS.

    ReplyDelete