Sunday, February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019 – Where Eric and I Start Fishing Way too Early on a Cold Winter Morning – Pickering Creek

Cold but happy to be there.
Eric and I got out today for the second time this winter, an early trip to the Pickering DHALO on a cold, clear February morning.  He only had the morning, so we left my house at 7 AM to maximize our time out together.  We arrived around 7:30 AM to empty lots but 25 degree air temperatures—trade-offs, I suppose.  Not surprising, we did not move a fish for the first two hours of the morning, maybe more, but we did see some deer and had an encounter with a bald eagle who seemed miffed that we were in his fishing hole.  We were both nymphing with midges on the dropper, but I think things are changing in SEPA.  I landed 4 fish this morning, and they all took a size 14 pheasant tail jig, not any of the smaller flies I had on the dropper(s).  No visible bug life this morning, but I have a feeling that both early black stoneflies and blue winged olives must be moving around under there.  Even though another wintery mix is in the forecast tonight, it feels like spring is on its way.  As the morning got later and warmer, we did have to contend with the expected weekend visitors to this popular stretch of creek, but we had first shot at a few prime spots that usually produce a few fish.  It was tough going, and young Eric took a graceful skunk.  I had to fish a flat deep hole with an indicator to land my first fish, but it helped get the monkey off my back because I landed three more and briefly hooked two more before we quit while fishing my preferred tightline nymphing technique. 


First fish of the morning looked nothing like the second brown I landed before we quit.




















Two big rainbows came in small pockets away from the heavily targeted holes, which is always fun for me on a stocked creek.  They were where they were supposed to be on a small, shallow stream—tight to wood in soft spots off the current in a stretch of pocket water.  Any reprieve from tiny flies under an indicator improves winter trips for me.  Let me move a few on a streamer or dig a few out nymphing or fool a few with a dry fly, and I am much more happy.  If I can have success now, especially nymphing, I know my touch is there and ready for spring when takes are delivered with a bit more conviction!


Two chunky bows away from the usual holes.




















As with most if not all of my preferred fishing buddies, Eric fished with me and away from me in equal measure.  I tried to help him land at least one before we quit, giving him first crack at a couple spots (although first crack is a misnomer when the many footprints around the holes tell another story), and leaving him alone at some favorite holes, but the fish were being very difficult, and we were hemmed in by a few other parties taking advantage of the beautiful if chilly morning.  Eric genuinely enjoys being out, however, and has plenty of successful days, so I never feel like a total dick for catching a few more fish.  If my experience of 80 to 100 trips per year can’t get me a few even on a tough day like today, then I am doing something wrong and should take up golf, I suppose.  I have the boy on Monday for President’s Day, but I am hoping to get out at least once this week.  If Mother Nature or work has other plans for me, I will be doubly grateful for this rare weekend excursion, especially with a good buddy, even if the fishing itself was just meh.  Delusional, perhaps, but I can see the green spring light at the end of the gray winter tunnel.


Eagle's eye view.








































4 comments:

  1. That feels better!

    2 comments:

    1) Irrelevant perhaps. I walk past a small urban stream on my "heart" walks which has a nice population of minnows and such. Void of life all winter, I saw my first small school of minnows on Saturday afternoon. SEPA is ready for spring?

    2) I have learned from your blog, and am amazed by how, the slightest afternoon increase in temperature can bring a trout bite. How in tune animals are to their environs!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right on, Ron! Longer days and shorter nights? The afternoon might have been great, but sometimes it is worth getting out with a mitch regardless of conditions, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not bad. The old reliable Alverthorpe failed to give up a bass or a crappie this weekend. I think it was too cold with the ice melt. I know alverthorpe very well so skunks, even in the winter, are rare. Hoping the whistlepig is right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my boy Kenny tried to scare up something other than trout at Green Lane and the Perk, and had similar results, Pete. He caught trout on bass lures...

    ReplyDelete