Friday, February 22, 2019

February 19 and 22, 2019 – Two Trips, One for Stockies, One for Wilds, Only One Fish – Montgomery and Northampton Counties

Stockie skunk?  It happens!
I finally took a long enough break this week to Aquaseal a pesky pin hole in the knee of my Simms G3s, which will save me a 6 to 8 week wait for a repair across the country in Washington.  Spring is too close to play that game again.  I did it last year, and I used my backup bootfoot waders on a trip to State College, which ended in a tumble in Fishing Creek in 35 degrees and snow, no less.  Keeping with that theme of maintenance, I guess, I tied up a couple leaders and then went on a Monday-Tuesday hunt for replacement spikes for a pair of my wading boots.  I hit a couple Dick’s, Orvis, and a local shop near Stony Creek—none of them had them in stock.  Orvis’s supplier has them backordered until the summer (?), and I resisted the urge to drive to the TCO shop for the 30-dollar official Simms replacements or similarly priced Chota and such.  I wanted 10 dollar Frog Toggs or Field and Stream or motocross spikes, you know?  They all fall out when you fish as much as I do!  I ended up having to use Amazon Prime for a two day delivery of some decent but cheap spikes, which I will sink and glue in place this upcoming weekend.  Since I was out in Norristown area on Tuesday to check a small shop for spikes, however, I poked around Stony looking for any Black Friday stockies that resisted the PowerBait and avoided the frying pan or eagle talons.  No dice, so I took a 90 minute walk in waders, basically.

A little off-color and very cold.
I worked late on Thursday, spending time on campus in the evening after class to finish 90% of my grading and prep work, because I wanted to take a “real” fishing trip on Friday.  Knowing full well the melt following the last snow storm was going to make things iffy yet again, I still decided to take my first trip to the Bushkill of 2019.  I almost didn’t suit up when I saw the color of the water from a bridge, but when I parked and took a closer look, the flow was normal-ish and the visibility in riffles was decent, so I gave it a shot with the streamer for an hour, hoping to move a good fish that needed to eat.  Wishful thinking, especially because a water temp check revealed 37 degrees.  Paired with gray snow melt water, and no visible bugs, conditions looked awfully tough.   After breaking off a bugger in some newly deposited and invisible debris, I walked back to my car to get my nymphing rod before heading upstream into a favorite hole that I was confident would at least net me a holdover rainbow or something.  I fished this hole thoroughly for a thorough skunk.  I got bounced once while standing waist-deep and reaching over heavy water to drop my big golden stone and sj worm dropper into a soft spot on the other side of the creek, but I did not connect on my hook set. 

The golden stone scared one up.
I started smelling cigarette smoke a while before I heard voices upstream. I figured it was workers on the adjacent property, as sometimes happens, but it ended up being two other fly guys also enjoying a Friday skunk.  They were nice guys and we talked for quite a bit about our favorite spots, including the mighty Brodhead.  When we passed again as they were packing up to go and I was planning my next move, I mentioned that I write this blog if they wanted to get in touch in the future.  The one dude knew about Sick Days Fishing, so I am famous to about 30 people in the world!  Funny, I will mention it to some guys or share a link to a post on the paflyfish site once in a while, but it is always funny to see where this message in a bottle lands.  I started writing it as a way to track, to log my trips, and share with my buddies and dad, maybe for an excuse to write more and take more photos while out.  In the true spirit of social media, however, I have met some nice folks over the years, and I even found a client for Sam Galt’s guiding this year, so it slowly grows each year into something I did not completely anticipate, which is cool.

The first of many good Bushkill wild browns for 2019, I hope.




















I talked about going to Monocacy or even Martins while the day was still young, but instead I decided to nymph another hole that I only swung a bugger through in the morning.  Whether that was the right call or not, I did manage to land my first decent Bushkill wild brown of 2019 before I quit early.  The fish took the big golden stone at the beginning of the pool’s tailout, and he hit it with authority before taking two leaps too, so he was that one out there needing to eat today despite conditions.  I was happy to see him after the tough morning.  He was pushing 13 inches and not in any way stressed looking like some of the skinny fish I have caught this winter.  I worked a few soft pockets below this hole for another 30 minutes or so without even a bump, so I packed it in and beat early Friday traffic home.  Not a banner week, but I accomplished some necessary work and had a little reward at the end.


16 comments:

  1. You might be haunted by waders, but at least you have a following of 30 and a rogue wild brown that agreed to a photo op!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, Ha! Aren't we all haunted by waders? If they made a pair that never leaked, then they would be out of business or they would have to make them shiny and flashy looking like fishing reels, so you bought new ones to look cool and feel prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fly fishing manufacturers have lucked out with the demographic that takes up the sport, rich old white guys. Its truly amazing that my $120 penn can put the brakes on a 30 inch striper but somehow a fly reel needs to be $600 to catch at most 3lb browns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? It is the same in any sport. I know plenty of guys with 600+ dollar conventional outfits chasing largemouth in frog ponds while wearing shirts that look like they drive for NASCAR. There are plenty of fly guys out there with old Pfluegers and Eagle Claws that cost 30 bucks. My main rod cost me 150 bucks and the reel was under 200 even after I splurged on two spools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. How many stripers greater than 30 inches have you caught in the past 4 years???? They are ghosts unless you are trolling 5 miles offshore these days.
      I am down on the beach or in my kayak every opportunity I can, I have caught hundreds of stripers this year, how many greater than 30 inches? If say no more than 10. You old guys got your fill and and killed them all, leaving the 23 year old surfcasters like myself chasing schoolies.

      But anyway I was using that as an example, I do not own a reel that can put the brakes on a 20lber at the moment.

      Delete
  6. You nailed it, Pete. That's why I don't waste my time on that long drive but twice a year anymore: memories of surf caught 20 and 30 pounders... It's been in decline for 10 years or more. Just because you find the fly rod puzzling right now, if you love fishing as much in 20 years as you do now, which I think you will, you'll be back for the challenge. Mark my words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I am actually looking at getting an 8wt-9wt for the 24 inch stripers I catch in the back during summer.

      Delete
  7. I wanted to stay out of this as I was quite happy with my first comment and the response. Now youngsters :) Pete when I was 23, stripers were depleted to the point that if someone caught one in the inlet I fished, everyone was talking about it for days. NOBODY caught 10 over 30 inches in a season. They were virtually an endangered species. Some " "Old Guys" pushed for the Moratorium and brought them back from the brink. I suggest a book. Striper A Tale of Fish and Men if you really want a history lesson and a great read. I actually have a copy and if my "Old Guy" memory doesn't fail me, I will pass it on to NymphWristed and he can pass it on to you.

    NW, it took me 40 years to come back to the long rod after a short trial. I'm sticking to my plan of only fishing for "Stockies" using the long rod this year. I won't use flies much, but may stick to those small jigs you "Middle Aged" fly guys call bead heads! :)

    RR

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Pete knows I just bust his chops, RR! Thanks for your old mad wisdom, however ;)

      Delete
  8. My issue with the present striper decline is that we are in a way better spot than we were in 1983 and we could make things way better now with out a total moratorium. This new 2 fish limit should be cut back to 1 as a start IMO. I have a bad feeling we will wait too long and end up where we were in 83. Luckily back then we were up to our elbows in weakfish. Way easier to fix todays small problem now than continuing down the slippery slope we are on!

    At least the bass and trout guys are big into catch and release so we have that now. (Even if they do pay too much for reels) :)

    At 60, I hopefully have some fish in front of me, but I want Pete and other young folks to have decent fishing when I put my rods away for the last time.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Pete! They are the saltwater fish that 60 year olds cut their teeth on in the 70's/80's. According to my Dad who would be 93 if he were alive said they have had population booms and busts many times...........boom in the 30's, 50's and 70's. I was hoping for an up swing right when I retired, but it may not happen for me..............I am betting you will see glory weakfish days in you time. Be patient!

      The nice thing is they are here in the warmer months and you don't have to freeze to death fishing for them like you do fishing for those Pin Striped fish you worship! :)

      RR

      Delete