Tuesday, March 12, 2019

March 12, 2019 – Getting Better Each Time He Does It – Pickering Creek

Making things happen.
Despite mediocre personal experiences and reliable bad reports since the last stocking, I took my dad over to the Pickering DHALO for a few hours today.  We were not alone on a Tuesday, but we found some space and some fish.  Like Monday, it was still breezy, but unlike Monday it was a full 5 or 6 degrees cooler.  Most of the snow is gone, and the creek was still high-ish since the last rainstorm, so the water was both stained and cold.  Things are looking up, though, as bugs are starting to show again, as are the holdover fish from both this fall and last spring’s stockings, both mostly absent after the new kids were stocked last month.  I landed two browns with good fins, and my dad’s only fish was also a brown in good shape.

The Prince and the Porker




















It was a tough day for a novice fly angler, but I can see my dad getting better. He learned to roll cast today and, from watching me cherry pick a couple fish with his rod, how to read the water in cold weather and just how subtle the takes are at this time of year.  I was behind him a couple times doing the old, There’s one!  I could sense he wasn’t buying it totally, so I caught a couple that hit just as lightly as the ones he doubted just to demonstrate that they were in fact fish….  Or did I just need to catch a couple after a tough start!? I will never tell.  Seriously, though, he is a quick study and that short demonstration lead him to hooking a fish not long after I walked away to give him some space.

More Prince.
With my self-imposed no indicator rule (holding my OWN rod, that is!), I had to work hard for 5 additional fish.  Besides catching a few fish with my dad, it was cool to show him around the creek.  This is an easy one to access and wade, plus there are many fish from various stockings (therefore the Tuesday crowds), so I wanted him to add it as an option this spring if he needs to get out somewhere besides the Penny or the Wissy.  It is a pretty little creek and one that is healthier than the aforementioned “cricks,” so I was glad he liked what he saw even if the fishing was challenging.  It will not be this way for long if the warm-up continues.  Of what little bug activity I did witness, I saw olives and midges but no stoneflies today.  Besides one on an sj worm (a trend this week, sorry) the other fish took a prince or other more natural-looking bug.  I said I was going to leave the place alone for a while, but I was glad my dad and I got outdoors on a nice March day and had some success close to home.  I am making the long solo drive to Central PA tomorrow, so a couple more good posts to come this week, I hope.





5 comments:

  1. Good to see Dad out there with you! You used to use the Green Weenie for stockies a lot. Is that a good early fly or better later?

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weeenie works a few different times each year, but for stockies I tend to use it where there are not a lot of bugs, like the Wissy. Pickering has some hatches, so I think they eat naturals pretty quickly. That said, the weenies look like the larva a few different flies when they roll through riffles in May, mostly caddis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not bad. Spring Break of my senior year (last May) I came home to three snow/ice/wind storms hitting Philly within the week. Looks like you lucked out on weather!
    Also, the weenie used to catch even some of the most educated browns on the most fertile streams in central PA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not surprised. Caddis are the most prevalent fly in a lot of those streams, just not glamorous, hence the effectiveness of the weenie, Pete. They are also an attractor, like a glow bug, so they may get bit just for that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete