Thursday, April 25, 2019

April 25, 2019 – Well, I Had to Start Somewhere – Brodhead Creek

Wait there, rod, while I climb over this one and try not to get wet.
I took my first trip to the Brodhead for 2019, the first of many if history holds true.  The creek had been blown out, running 2000 CFS in Analomink on Saturday (close to 7000 downstream!), but today it was only about 300 CFS.  That is still sporty to fish the spots I wanted to nymph on a short line, essentially wading with my feet; I like about 200 or less, and 200 or less is often the average by this point in the spring.  Where I was today is better in May and June, only because fish are more accessible in 150 CFS, but I just wanted to poke around.  I could have waited a day, a week, but it was going to be a good weather day, perhaps even afternoon clouds and drizzle in the forecast, so figured I had to start somewhere.  I arrived about 10:15 AM to warmth and sun.  The water was sporty, but it had good visibility, so that made it infinitely more wadable.  Funny how being able to see your feet can instill much more confidence.  I was loaded for bear—no not a big articulated streamer or anything, but a pair of heavy, bigger bugs—hoping to find a good fish in a couple hard to reach spots.  Grabbing a sturdy stick from the flotsam a couple times for added insurance, I spent the first two hours, I bet, wading into some fishy but potentially hazardous (and snaggy) spots and coming up empty.  I got bounced, really bounced, one time as my stonefly and big hare’s ear jig were swinging up at the end of one drift, and I did not connect.  Other than that moment of excitement, I just broke a sweat and tested the waterproof capabilities of my waders above the waistline a couple times.

Fish number one after lowering expectations a click.
I saw a handful of larger mayflies early, but eventually it became clear that enough caddis were flying upstream that they could get noticed by fish even in higher water.  I decided that the next hour would be devoted to catching a fish, any fish, so I moved upstream to a run that sometimes gets stocked fish in addition to wild fish.  I added a caddis pupa on the dropper before stepping in here but fittingly enough landed a stocked brown and a stocked rainbow on a brown stone fly.  I then spent a few minutes resting and watching a flat pool where risers sometimes show.  Caddis continued to move about, but after 20 minutes or more there was nary a nose in the long, big pool, so I hiked up to one more favorite spot.

Stockies appreciated my big offerings.
Besides midges, the bug life in this last spot was not as prevalent, but the wading was easier and the water looked great.  I had to add quite a bit of weight, but in doing so I was able to work the edges of a long run.  It did not take long to hook a decent fish, who decided to leap twice almost immediately after being hooked.  This was a hot fish in great shape.  He was probably only 12 or 13 inches long, but he made the first couple of fish seem very wimpy.  I thought wild for sure on the stream this afternoon, but I am not sure with the pictures I have.  He had good fins, even the adipose looked good, red spots and paler coloration, but minus a real defined eye-spot I will say inconclusive.  The section I was in does not get stocked, but they get in there, even pig rainbows get in there from time to time.  At any rate, it was a beautiful fish and a fun battle, and a fitting way to end the first trip to my home away from home creek for the year.  I had to swing a streamer for a minute before quitting, and I had the same fish bump it and come for it a second time before he spooked for good.  Actually, I suppose that was a more fitting end for my mediocre first Brodhead outing of 2019?


Two shots of the last fish of the afternoon.  Three fish in 4 hours?  Better days ahead for sure!












































2 comments:

  1. That last pic really shows the colors in that Brown. Real pretty!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bud. I have not learned to use the light, so I just take a couple at different angles. Maybe I need to go to night school for photography, so I can highlight them the right way every time? Or maybe I should just fish?

      Delete