Sunday, December 8, 2019

December 8, 2019 – Someone Invited a Lot of Fine Shorties to Our Party – Ocean County Surf

Half of our party of hopefuls.




















I had the unique pleasure of “guiding” a few mitches on the Ocean County surf this morning.  I have known Dolf for over two decades, and he and I used to fish the surf quite a bit back in the day, mostly with clam and chunks and a prayer, perhaps his fey blue Sperry rain jacket.  We also made music (more like musique concrete) together and even dated in different eras the same crush-worthy, yet decidedly troubled and troublesome, myopic bottle-blonde. Today, he brought along his brother in law, Jeff, who is a good dude and pretty obsessed with surf fishing.  I was supposed to get out with these boys a couple times last year to show them what little I remember from my days as a shoobie sharpie, but life happened or the weather turned north too quickly last year, I don’t recall.  Also joining us was Pete.  Though I don’t think we’ve ever knowingly met in person, we have known each other through fishing forums since he was a teenager.  He cut his teeth at the same lake where Ward and I first fished together as kids.  He loves to bust my balls on the blog, especially about my fly fishing in lieu of my past surf fishing glory days, but I could always tell he was a good dude, and he’s even shared intel with me over the years, so I invited him to tag along with us too.


Sunrise sandeel bite, a couple to 25 inches
Those who actually guide the surf, not those working for the camaraderie and a free breakfast, have a network of cellphone informants, or they offer plenty of caveats about the “experience” or the “education” trumping the catching.  Taking my cue, I promised a brisk predawn walk and a beautiful sunrise.  I was hopeful, however, that the spot where I found fish on Friday would be even more productive on the right tide.  Today, high tide was right at 5 AM give or take, so it was prime time when the sun peaked over the horizon.  Pete, who is a fishy young buck just a year or two out of college, landed at least 15 today, and he even landed two before sunrise.  I too added a dink to our predawn total.  I kept telling Dave and Jeff to wait for it… wait for it… and thank the fish gods it did happen.  Together, the four of us put at least 40 fish on the sand, ranging from 12 inchers to a couple 25’s, and there were a few dropped fish too.  Jeff and Dolf had neglected to remove, unbeknownst to them for the span of a couple missed fish, the plastic protective packing over the hooks of their recently acquired teasers!  That is a great prank for the future, as Jeff noted, taking it in stride, far better than having someone throw a hookless Ava because the fish stay on the teaser for a couple seconds with no hook penetration.  

The triple-double that Pete and I put together (one's just hanging out).


























After I landed at least a couple over 20 inches, one pushing 24, I spent more time with Dave and Jeff, and I think Pete did some coaching too.  Jeff was into them pretty steady, landing at least 7, and he may have landed the biggest of the day, a good, fat 25.  Dolf got his game in gear too, landing a nice handful on a vintage Garcia Conolon that he took off my dad’s hands some time ago.  That was cool.  I actually landed two on that rod as well, so Joe was with us in spirit again!  I christened his new Tsunami Shield, as promised, and was pleased with it on my Ron Arra bomber rod.  At some point we had three rods mixed up trying to give Dolf a rig with some more distance potential.  In the end, he did better with his own.  We had a few doubles and triples, and even a triple-double pictured above.  Like me on Friday, Pete landed two at the same time, and I simultaneously hooked and landed one, so the shawties posed together on the sand.  We were having a blast while it lasted, and we never drew a crowd despite being less than obvious about our luck.  It was bright and sunny by 8 AM, and with no real swell, along with rather clear water, the fish were not going to hang around for very long. 


The man, the mitch, the legend.  Dolf on the board for five on the vintage rod.




















For a good 45 minutes, though, we had fish breaking water in front of us, lip rats swiping at lures at our feet, just the right amount of mayhem.  I think I had more fun watching Dolf and Jeff get into them. And, as I said above, Pete was picking at them steady.  I am awesome at counting fish when by myself, but I am terrible when I am social fishing.  Same goes for taking photos.  Many of these shots are a result of a group effort.  I know I caught a few more than Jeff but not as many as Pete, so I will call it 9 or 10.  In short, we had a great morning for December.  Most of the fish took sandeel soft plastics, epoxy eels, T-Hex and Avas, and Dolf even got one on a bomber while trying to mix it up during a lull.  Eventually, the lulls lasted long enough for someone to call for breakfast.  After a shot of bourbon that Dolf magically pulled from of his neoprene-ed person, we took the brisk walk back to the parking spots and headed for a diner.  Everyone wants to do it again next weekend, so let’s hope the weather and water temps hold.  It looks promising so far, so maybe the band will get back together.  In the meantime, I may have to sneak down for the Tuesday high tide to celebrate finishing my final paper for Gothic Lit on Monday night….


You get a short, and you get a short, and you get a short, and I get a dink...







































7 comments:

  1. Myopic-Bottle-Blond....Shoobie Sharpie..........LMAO! Ya killin me ova here!

    Enjoyed your post!

    When the wind's from the west the late season is best?????

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like NW at this time of year. Remember bunker in the surf? Yeah, me neither. But I was told as filter feeders they face the current at the surface, so NW would work in theory to get them to swim towards shore. I really just like casting like a hero and the dunes sheltering me from the wind ;) I think eels will bury in and stay a while until the next big storm. Water is warm, like 53 at AC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got a week of strong winds from every direction. Hopefully the bass stick around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Pete. Thinking about Tues or Wed, so stay tuned...

      Delete
    2. Good luck on the gothic lit paper. I remember having to do a week or two for Gothic lit on a high level german class at penn state.

      Really interesting how such a prolific language died out.

      Delete
  4. Sorry for clogging your blogging, but I am curious to see if the wind switch and rough surf shut down the bite or the weather brings the fish into the wash and extends the bite past the morning.

    Years ago the guy at Bruce and Pat's told me any wind with an "N" in it was good and any wind with an "S" in was not so good.

    BTW, years ago when my Dad sold his place in Bethany I tried to be an LBI "Shoobie Sharpie" too................after 12 trips and one short and one parking ticket to show for it I realized I was more of a Shoobie than a Sharpie. :)

    Awaiting your report!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad storms can send them packing, RR. South is bad in the spring/summer, I believe, because it causes upwelling, sending cold water into the surf zone which can cool the bite too. Not sure how it would work in fall/winter. A strong NW has had no ill effects in my experience, since that seems to be the prevailing wind this time of year. Three days of high surf and a sustained NE might be good for a while but might poke them to keep moving south eventually.

      Delete