Saturday, August 1, 2020

August 1, 2020 – Went in with Lower Expectations than Warranted – Northampton County Limestoner


Steamy enough for wet wading, but not nearly as bad as it's been.

It rained lightly for a sustained period on Friday, the last day of a very hot and fishless July for me, but more importantly the weather stayed cloudy and double-digits cooler all day as a result.  I saw a couple creeks in SEPA spike from the rain and temps dipping into low- to mid-60s each night, so I debated starting August with a trout or two.  Eric was actually on-board, which helped me to commit to a 3 AM wake-up for a potentially meh three hours of fishing.  When I checked my phone at 3:40 AM, however, he had decided to bail, having spent most of the night up with his youngest daughter with the sniffles.   I almost went back to bed, but it had been a couple weeks since I had even attempted to fish, and I was up, so I made the coffee.  This time of year is rife with bad fishing math: Drive an hour or more to fish for 3 or 4 hours if you are lucky, and then drive home when the bite shuts down before 10 AM.  

One shot in each shallow riffle to start.

Sunrise is pushing towards 6 AM now, which is a sign of the coming fall, as are some leaves beginning to drop in my yard, so at least I didn’t have to leave the house until 4:30 AM.  I decided to wet wade, and even though the first water temp I took at 6 AM was only 62 degrees, I was comfortable then up until quitting time at 9:30.  The water only came up a degree by 9, so had the flows been better and more of stain remained (and I had expected it to be good), it could have been really good.  The photos show the day I expected.  I landed at least 6 small stream average wild browns on small bugs in riffles and pocket water.  But what the camera did not capture was what could have been (and me dry heaving after losing a small stream pig at the net).

On the board early, but chances were limited.

It became clear to me early that I was going to have success with small bugs and light tippet.  That was what I had planned for, anyway, knowing that tricos and midges feature heavily on the menu now.  However, after picking up way too much grass with two bugs, even a size 16 on the anchor and an 18 on the dropper, I had all my success fishing one single frenchie on 6x.  Even though I tried one of Eric’s green midges and an 18 sexy walts for a while too, everything took the small mayfly imitation, including three better fish that I did not land.  I had my first couple of browns by 6 AM, but opportunities were few and far between.  With low water and no fish rising, I did a lot of creeping up to plunges and riffles to have but one shot at one or two active fish.  I saw that I spooked a couple hanging back waiting for spinners or emergers, but I am sure I spooked others even while being really careful and hugging the banks in drab colors. 

Choking the small frenchie and only the frenchie

In a favorite hole where I expect to catch a good fish, and have caught fish to 18 inches in the past in more favorable conditions, I had my unexpected chance.  I got bounced and did not connect on the previous cast, but the next time I lobbed the frenchie into the same seam, it was met with a subtle eat.  I set the hook well and, despite all the overhanging branches and obstacles in the water, I actually worked this small stream piggie—at least a wide 16 inches of male brown trout—to the back of the pool for a clean landing.  He wanted to go shallow on the opposite bank, and I was afraid he was about to just go period, like take off downstream, so I decided to expedite the end of the battle, and he just popped off.  The hook was fine—I caught 3 more fish on the same fly after so it did not bend—and I he wasn’t so green that he violently shook the fly or dislodged it on the bottom, which was my fear as he got shallow.  I actually kept him from jumping, upstream of me, and in control the entire time.  He just came unbuttoned.  This was not the 25 incher that made me vomit on another stream a few years ago, but I did do the post-adrenaline rush dry heave on this fish too.  Another one to haunt the dreams and to bring me back.

What I expected for the morning, a handful of 8 inchers...

Sometimes this level of random misfortune provides the opportunity to focus even harder, and sometimes I end days like this with another good fish because I am in a competition with myself now, hyper focused on not repeating any mistakes, known or unknown.  Today, however, when the second chance came about 30 minutes later at another big fish spot, I set the hook on another really good fish.  As expected, he went for a submerged log at the base of a plunge, and when I tried to turn him, I was met with slack line.  Yep, a bad knot.  The tippet came back with the telltale squiggle of a hastily (or half-blindedly) tied double clinch.  I had taken off the frenchie after a lull to try a walts in this deep pool, and I obviously failed when I tied it back on 10 minutes later.

... maybe a 10 incher.

I was miffed but, unlike the first lost fish, I had no visual evidence of just what I had dropped.  I was ready to quit, but I had to try one favorite deep riffle that did not produce earlier.  Three weights of flies and three patterns later, I finally hooked a decent 11 or 12 incher in this spot, but I did not land this one either.  I knew it was time to go, had been time to go, but I returned to the scene of the first disaster to watch for risers or signs of more life.  Nothing doing, and not a hit on the second visit, so no redemption today.  I will have some painful dreams and daydreams for a day or two, but the bright side is that my expectations were exceeded and, August or not, I will not make that particular mistake again.  I will definitely tie more bad knots, and I will definitely put a little too much pressure on a big fish in an effort to end the battle, but I will not wade in not thinking that my next white whale might be lurking.  I may need to break down and get a long handled net this year too.  When I first started fly fishing again in earnest, I did not expect to see the big fish I now see on a somewhat regular basis, even after two weeks off the circuit, as in this case!  I guess I really should expect them at any time and be more ready.  Low expectations lead to low results?

That frenchie and I will be ready next time, I hope.

10 comments:

  1. That cool water must have felt great after all this heat! Nice catch!

    So I am confused. You don't want to walk into a pool to net a good one for fear of spooking a better one? Curious, you don't think a long net and the commotion of catching the first wouldn't spook a big lurker?

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a blog in itself! Here goes the "short" version: If you can, you want to keep a big fish upstream of you. It just makes things a lot easier. I fish upstream and end most of my drifts at around 2 PM on the old clock, anyway, unless there is reason to let the bugs swing when fish might be taking emergers. I hook most before 12 PM. Even then, if I hook a good one, I start trying to get below the fish to make it easier to control and eventually guide into the net. On small streams with a lot of overhead trees, which was the case here, it is a good idea to get clear so you can change the angle of the rod when needed for side pressure to turn them the way you want them to go or turn them away from things they want to run towards (always boulders and logs and even the lair they take refuge in). The long net just helps with reach and maybe cuts down the chances of yet another run when the fish sees you or your buddy trying to assist. This one was done with all that, and I did most of the right things, but he just came unhooked, which happens. I am not one to blame barbless, even, which I fish exclusively; the same can happen with barbs depending on where the fish is hooked. A longer reach and bigger basket, and I may have been more aggressive about taking a swipe with the net ;)

      Delete
    2. By 12 and 2 I mean, I am picturing me standing perpendicular to the flow, so the opposite bank is 12....

      Delete
  2. Thanks, that explains a lot. Your second comment answered my next question. I would not have given much thought to all of this considering the average stockie or wild brown one would encounter in SEPA. That changes when I look at some of the beasts you dealt with this spring. Landing one of those in a small stream, barbless hook, tippet, brush, logs, overhead branches is another story! I get accused by my fishing buddy (Who is not nearly as psychologically damaged by fishing as myself or you or some of the people who read this blog. LOL) of "Overthinking the details and that catching is mostly random." Well I believe getting the fish onto the hook is one part and then landing him is another! Thanks for the detailed explanation. I know this deluge will have you developing a plan, looking forward to it.
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bud. I am with you! I have like 4 nets and change up all the time based on the creek and the size of the fish I expect to encounter, but I should probably only have two, at best: One small one that won't get hung up bushwhacking, and one to carry when there is even a remote chance of encountering a big fish. Still might have lost this one, and I landed that Valley pig in the little measure net, so I can only plan for so much....

      Delete
  3. Sucks about losing the big fish. Those frenchie flies slay. Spring Creek browns and rainbows were all over them this past weekend. I only switched up flies once the cahills started coming off and the trout started eating my indicator

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, simple point fly. I see from your pics that the copper john is in rotation too. Check out perdigons too, Pete. Same principle of thin profile so that even a small bug will get down quickly, which is needed when they are on small bugs and in the heads of riffles this time of year. The classic pt bulkier profile is still better in the spring with olives and then the bigger mayflies.

      Delete
    2. I was using copper johns on the LJR (deeper river requiring heavier flies) and the frenchie on Spring where i am catching trout in 1-2feet of water. The best riffle i encountered was legitmately ankle deep.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, man. Good stuff. They will be ankle deep on the J this time of year too. Light tippet and small, thin profile flies and you will still get down if you need to regardless of depth.

      Delete
    4. Not much ankle deep water on the big river. They tend to be everywhere tho. I have hooked up on the back cast during sulphur and cahill hatches

      Delete