Friday, August 21, 2020

August 21, 2020 – SEPA Summer Small Stream Sneaking – Valley and Pickering Creeks

Some post-storm changes and a couple average browns

I had a busy week on the work and home front, but I spent one evening casting my 8’3” 3-weight on the lawn with a dry dropper.  I nymph a lot, but I do know how to cast with some degree of accuracy with actual WF fly line—maybe because I cast on the front lawn when I have nothing better to do?  Anyway, when I was up this morning around 5 AM, I thought of the headwaters of Valley and these large terrestrials I have been seeing, like cicadas, and that little dry fly rod already set up in the garage.  I knew the creek would be low, especially where I had in mind, but I also knew I would likely have the place to myself.  I was right, on both fronts.  The fish were spooky as hell, the creek bed altered by storms in good (new deadfalls) and bad (new sand and silt) ways, and the overhanging brush made casting a challenge, but I got a couple on the perdigon dropper.  In a particular big fish spot, I was able to drop a 30+ foot cast into a flat deep hole, and I had the moment I was hoping for when I rigged up a big stimulator on 4X last night.  I don’t know if the fish was still out and exposed from nighttime activities or if he darted out from a deep nearby root ball, but I had a pig explode on the dry.  I was too far away and too hidden to determine if it was pissed off denial or territorial tail slap or if I was just premature on the hook set. 

Some warmwater action to end

It was still early when I reached the end of the short stretch I wanted to fish, so I walked back to a couple favorite holes with a less aggressive dry dropper.  The only fish I saw were tight to cover and even spookier with the bright sun, so I decided to make a move and see how Pickering made out in the storms.  The place was full of hikers and dog walkers, but I found a spot up high on the special regs section.  I did not expect a trout, but the water temp was under 70 degrees, so there was a chance.  Like most local creeks, the place had been altered, but it was not too bad.  Instead of a dry dropper, I used a green weenie under an indicator a little while before removing the bobber and sight fishing the weenie in the clear, low water.  Besides a few sunfish, I also landed a little smallmouth.  A larger bass stirred and eventually spooked while I was fighting this feisty 9 incher on the 3-weight.  I tried to get the big fish interested again, but he may have been interested in the little bass not the weenie the first time.  It was not hot, but it was really humid and uncomfortable by 11 AM, so I headed for home.  Not much of a fishing day, but an excuse to be outside to enjoy the cool morning, investigate a couple favorite spots post-Isaias, and have some experiences. 


3 comments:

  1. That section of Valley is probably the hardest section for me, aside from the narrow section in the park on 401.

    When I lived down the street I was often fortunate enough to catch it after storms. It definitely came to life afterwards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def a high(er) water spot, and they get a little less spooky in the middle of hatches too! Today was not that day.... I have had some really good days in later winter on BWOs, even landed an 18-19" on a caddis larva maybe 5 years ago. As you well know, a unicorn in that stretch!

      Delete
  2. Nice to see a few fish that aren't trying to do a poor imitation of a weakfish! :)

    RR

    ReplyDelete