Wednesday, October 14, 2020

October 13 and 14, 2020 – Not Much Rain but Enough to Get Me Out of Bed… Twice! – Northampton County Limestoner

Look, Ma!  No stain!

The timing of this most recent storm was not great for me since it occurred mostly during the day on Monday when I was working, and the positive effects were all but gone by the time I could get out fishing on Tuesday morning.  I was hopeful for more precipitation, but I kind of knew when I went to bed on Monday night that the gages would be back to normal on Tuesday.  No matter, any bit helps, and with a little stain and some bug life, it ended up being a pretty decent morning.  I landed probably 8, and if I count a couple dinks, perhaps even10 fish, including a solid 14-incher and another over 12 inches during roughly four hours on the water.  One dude was arriving as I was going, probably hoping for some risers.  I did see a few taking midges, but the caddis were still just swarming in the trees as I headed for home.  Other than one women out for her morning walk, I had the place to myself.

Took an hour, but got some decent ones once they started eating.

It started out slow.  I am still in the mode where I show up at first light, but it often takes another hour for the fish to wake up these days.  It is still nice to be there at sunrise, even if I can’t see the sun because it is still drizzling and cloudy.  Only one fish gave away his location early, and I did not fool him the first time, but I think I landed him in the same spot two hours after he first showed.  I fished one of Eric’s caddis larva on the point until I lost it, though I did land my first fish on it, and then I fished a frenchie for a while with one of his green midges on the dropper, until I eventually settled on a red tag fly and a small pt dropper to fish through some pocket water toward morning’s end.  I got at least one on everything I threw, though only YOY on the midge, even though the adult bugs that were present were mostly small, small caddis and midges.  The fish were acting a little cold fronty, hitting lightly and not hanging on long early in the day, but the breeze only kicked up slightly and Wednesday was supposed to be warm eventually, so the barometer was not so bad in the end, I guess.  The best two fish came after 9 AM, both in pocket water, and I had a few other decent 9 to 10 inchers still in the heavier water, which I am fine with, of course.

One in the 14 inch range and more decent averages.


Because I knew fish lived there even if they were loath to wake up early, I worked through a favorite stretch twice before taking a longer walk to fish another stretch of pocket water.  It was a good call, as I landed four fish, including a pretty 12+ inch fish, during the second approach.  The second run of pocket water has been iffy since probably June, but it produced the best of the day today, a gorgeous and wide fish that was at least 14 inches.  I also landed a few more decent fish in this stretch before I ran into frog water.  It was here that I watched a couple solid 12 inchers midging, but I could not be convinced to cut off the nymphs and take a shot.  It was after 11 AM, and they were not moving with any regularity, so I decided that I should get home and finish some work for my class this evening.  

Maybe 10 fish, so not bad.

Speaking of cold fronts and fish taking their time getting up, this morning was when the high pressure really delivered the goods.  I did not see any frost, but it was in the mid-40s when I arrived at another Northampton County creek that sometimes holds the water after a rain for a bit longer—though not today.  I guess most of the rain on Monday was to the south or just really isolated?  This one was tough!  It was cold when I arrived so I took a walk to scout out a hole I have not fished in a few years.  The last time I was down there, another dude was fishing it when I arrived.  No one there today, but I passed a depressing sight upstream that does not bode well for this hole’s future.  I hope all the trees were sick, but it looked more like a someone wanted water views and grass right to the edge of the water.  Makes me sad, and I wonder how this happens on the banks of “exceptional quality” creeks, but money talks, I guess, or it’s easier to do the deed and then pay the fines later?  Anyway, it was a sad sight.  Fishing was not good either.  I landed a total of three young of the year on my size 16 dropper.  I had a few hits that were short and sharp but did not hold on.  That happens at times when they really don’t want to eat—cold morning, barometer wonky.  When two of my favorite holes were dead and low, I held out hope for a deep plunge at the high end of this stretch.  On the walk up there, I noticed a truck where I never see anyone parked, and sure enough another fly guy was in there. 

Hope it wasn't just for a creek view!

I fished the pocket water 300 yards downstream from him instead, and landed an uber dink, but he did not last long up there.  Things were tough for everyone, apparently.  We chatted as he was making his way back to his parking spot, and he said he had nada from the spot.  I am rarely deterred no matter how fishy looking a mitch looks, so I still waded up and gave it a shot.  I had two of those sharp short hits that did not connect, so I reached into my bag of tricks and pulled out an ugly fly.  Playing dirty pool with the double beaded san juan, I actually caught a good 13 inch fish.  Just to keep the bad luck alive, I did not manage to net the thing for a photo, however!  The hit was so light, so maybe I just barely had him because he came off as I was dragging him to the net.  I even think the fly had a barb!  It was just one of those mornings.

Low and cold, some YOY, and "cheating" to get one good fish...

I was encouraged by the hits and finally a good fish at this spot, so before heading for home I tried my two hot spots that had at least some water in them.  Nothing doing, and in the high sun, low water, and the leaf hatch brought on by the breeze, I was not expecting much no matter how hopeful and quiet my approach to the hole.  We still need rain, and I hear it may come at the end of the week.  Unfortunately, I have a busy week ahead, but I hope I can sneak out and take advantage.  October has not been awesome so far, but we are only half way through.  I also get a lot less busy after Halloween when I go from having five classes to having only three, so I trust that more trips are coming.  I was planning to go to IBSP with a couple mooks on Saturday, but I am not sure the timing of the storm swell and the warm ocean temps are going to make that worthwhile.  Again, plenty of time left in 2020, so I may just get another good night's sleep this week!


8 comments:

  1. That's a shame about the trees. Easier to ask forgiveness than permission as you stated.

    Monday was a dud for me, the flow nearly doubled on me in the morning. The lot at Bradford is now posted as tow away zone so keep that in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just bad timing on that storm! Wow, that is shame about the parking...

      Delete
  2. Saturday looks promising.

    I'd be willing to bet the posting comes from a certain "gentleman" me and countless others have had issues with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, your theory is yer boy the friendly fly guy cursed out the wrong person finally?!

      Delete
    2. Yes, but pure conjecture on my part though.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, bruh. You know, in theory at least, there are fall stockies to be had....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done. Quite a variety of color in them there browns.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bud. They should be getting even more colorful soon enough ahead of the spawn.

      Delete