Monday, October 19, 2020

October 19, 2020 – Still Limping Along in Low Water – Northampton County Limestoner


A promising start.

I had no set plans for today, but I was up early to use the bathroom around 4:30 AM, and by the time I got the cat to settle down from actually having a friend awake at that hour, it was clear I was not going to fall back to sleep quickly.  I worked a lot over the weekend and was caught up on grading for the time being, so I had half a day to kill, but I had no motivation to plan anything on Sunday.  Fall streams are often low, but most of the streams within an hour of home are significantly lower than normal right now.  I am just tired of the work it takes to put together a decent catch in these conditions, I guess.  That does not mean I didn’t get up and pack up to go somewhere this morning, however, and I did get a good handful between 7:30 and 11:30 AM, even if I had to settle for some holdover rainbows on the old san juan worm!

Low even for fall, worms and bows, a perdigon brown.

After watching the news about morning fog and clouds (though no rain in the 5-Day, of course) I decided to try the largest of my four or five go-to Lehigh Valley limestone creeks.  The last time I fished this particular one, I landed only two fish, but one was a pig wild brown.  I had another stretch or two in mind as I headed up this morning.  Thinking about that big fish, and anticipating low water, however, I grabbed my 10 foot 4 weight that I had rigged up with a mono rig, 6X tippet, and two really small bugs.  Water was low and clear, as expected, but I thought I made the right call and that it might actually get good today when I landed a decent wild brown on a perdigon on my third cast.  I worked the remaining pocket water and a favorite deep, braided hole without a bump, though.  Besides this one early fish, the only other highlight was pulling two good tungsten bugs out of the trees.  The water was low enough that I could wade in places that are typically over waist deep, so I went prospecting when I saw something shiny.

White-tipped and pretty holdover rainbows to end the morning.

It was early, so I decided to throw a hail mary at a certain waterfall where I knew there would be deep water.  I went from being a little hot and overdressed to a bit chilly as I sat in the spray behind the falls.  All the sudden my mono rig choice was not optimal, of course, but this was not the first time I had chunked a bobber and a worm on the old 20 lab Maxima—actually, I had 20, tapered to 15, taper to 12, so casting was not impossible by any means.  I almost didn’t trust my eyes when I saw the indicator pause the first time, but it was surely a hit.  I wasn’t as slow the second time I put a cast back in the same seam, and I landed my second fish of the morning.  It was probably now 10 AM, and this was a holdover rainbow all of 11 inches, but he fought well and his fins were tipped with white and his colors were great.  I will take it, I thought.  Working the slower seams of the deeper run behind the waterfall, I managed to pick up 3 more nice rainbows, all solid holdover fish in great shape and happy in the cold water.  

Two of them were plumper holdovers.

I tried to work back and forth across the face of the dam to see if I could put together a stronger showing, but in the end all four rainbows came from the same run, two on each side.  Even in this deep water, they knew the only chance for a meal they didn’t have to hunt down was to wait off to the side of the strongest current coming over the dam.  There was still a lot of debris and a couple tree-sized limbs down there, so when I broke off eventually, I just called it a day.  In the end, I was glad I stayed up and made the relatively short drive.  I told myself on the ride home that I might target a larger NEPA creek on Wednesday.  I just have to find the motivation to plan and pack on Tuesday!

Worth staying up this morning?



6 comments:

  1. Took the skunk yesterday morning in Berks, low and clear combined with my clumsiness.

    I'll be up in Northampton county Wednesday morning, hopefully more productive 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about Berks after the last rain now that waters have cooled but that rain was nothing, again.... It's getting old. Good luck on Wed. At least the warmer days have them a little active early again and there seems to be at least a short window when they have to throw caution aside and eat. Plenty midges and even sporadic larger tan caddis around the area the last two times I was out. And there's always the worm ;)

      Delete
  2. Stayed local at Ridley creek and caught some of the oddest shaped rainbows.

    Heading north tomorrow, and I'll proudly fish a dyed pipe cleaner all day if that's what it takes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went all the way to the Brodhead to find some water, at least the bottom half of the creek. Will post tomorrow. More rainbows....

      Delete
  3. When the leaves are turning and the water is low.............Del River Hog Smallies might be on the prowl?

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's not a bad idea, RR. I did fish a bigger crick on Wed to use the low water to my advantage. Easier to move around and wade places that are off limits most of the year.

      Delete