Sunday, December 20, 2020

December 20, 2020 – A Frozen Hose: We Did for All for Dolf – Ocean County Beaches

Not even a sunrise with rain approaching.
I have heard an old adage, repeated by Jeff a couple times this fall, that to begin a season with a skunk and end with a skunk counts for something in the good fortune category. I will leave it to an old salt like Reelin Ron to advise whether or not that is true or even a thing. In more practical terms many sharpies quit when the hose is frozen—or hoses are frozen? I can stand the cold, and today was not cold, but when I can’t rinse the salt off my stuff without bringing hot water from the kitchen out to the driveway, well, that is surely a sign. Frozen hose or not, if I quit the surf today, it will have ended the way it began, a skunk. I even had Jeff along for both trips. Today was for Dolf, however. For the second crappy SSW Sunday this fall, we ventured out trying to get the dude on a bass. He’s caught plenty of bass before, just not this fall. I took the guys to one of my spots, and there was bait at first light, even signs of a couple small fish, but the tide was low and water a bit dirty (perhaps snow melt catching up). It was also a tad too sporty for short bass to venture through the cut—certainly not a day for rats on bombers and small bucktails. We tossed 2 ounces of metal and a teaser for a few hours, an SP and Mag Minnow in there for good measure, even a heavy plastic eel, but I had one bump all morning, and I did not connect. It was a long shot this morning with low tide right at sunrise, but it was a legit shot, as I was within a long walking distance of another cut where I tore them up five days ago, and this here cut is typically even better! Regardless of whether the adage about skunks is true, my own rule in December used to be two in a row. To that end, if Tuesday’s forecast for a W wind holds, I have Jeff penciled in as a go. That will be the day we catch fifty while Dolf has to work. I obviously have more faith in Murphy’s Law than the skunk sandwich and/or frozen hose.

6 comments:

  1. I have a character flaw of giving my opinion when I should shouldn't, so if you ask...

    Never heard the skunk adage or the hose line to be honest. I will say, that if you are doing it right, starting the season too early and ending too late is the sign of a good fisherman for many reason IMO.
    Surf stripers begin and end with rats I believe, but that is not a strong suit for me actually. What I type next may not apply to surf Stripers.
    My Dad had me out panfishing when I was in diapers..literally. He LOVED panfishing. (and always bragged about taking me out in diapers.)

    Chester River MD yellow perch run.....biggest ones came the first few days of the run.
    Bluegill/Crappie fishing 3 local reservoirs....biggest when they first bit in the spring. Also caught big Crappie the last few trips of the year.
    Smallmouth in Susquehanna tributaries, Caught biggest ones beginning and end of the season.
    Bass club I belonged to, biggest lunkers often came in first few tourneys of the year.
    Fall Tog fishing, biggest ones show at the bitter frozen finger end of season.
    Bucktailing tiderunner weakfish biggest ones were caught on the first few days of the bite.
    These are things my Dad and I witnessed and I still believe.
    Whenever I am fishing starting a season or ending a season and it looks like a skunk I FOCUS cuz that sparse bite or two may be the best fish of the year!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked for it this time, RR! I think you are right, though not with stripers as you said, at least in my experience. However, Al McReynolds didn't land a 78 pounder on a nice sunny day ;) I do believe the best spring bass come in June at night when most guys switch to fluke fishing...

      Delete
  2. Time to run a hot water hose to the tub in your garage, buy a threaded nosal :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it! When I lived alone, I used to bring waders in the tub with me ;) I still wash plugs in the kitchen sink at least.

      Delete
  3. One word of advice from a dude who can't venture out in the cold for health reasons. If you can still do it...GO!

    Also, you might want to keep your students in the dark about that wader tub thingee! :)

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be last call tomorrow for me, but I am going. Trout might miss me?

      Delete