Wednesday, December 30, 2020

December 30, 2020 – Barely Legal Stockies – SEPA Freestoner

Felt like a dirty old man.

Someone paid for these fish.  Well, I guess my TU dues helped pay for these fish.  I should feel slighted, but it is a common occurrence with fall stockies some years.  You can feed them and plump them up, but it appears that you can’t hurry length.  No, you just have to wait.  I had a couple hours to kill this afternoon, and it was not all that cold out, so I took a short drive to the local freestoner.  I had heard from reliable sources that the fish were small, but I confirmed that for myself today.  I landed 8 fish in a couple of hours of walking and exploring, and they were all the same size rainbow, still in parr marks and all of 8 inches long.  Perhaps for practice with the bobber, I only brought a 9-foot 4-weight rigged with a long mono rig, and I slipped on an easily adjustable thingamabobber with a stopper to drift some small bugs.  The fish took either a size 16 brown hare’s ear on the anchor or an 18 frenchie on the dropper.  I rolled one big fish, but since I landed a big sucker a while later, I assume the first fish was also a sucker.  But it might have been a big sleepy trout.  Not that I will be spending much time on this creek this winter, but there is a chance that a couple bonus fish got mixed in with the juveniles?  A couple whoppers with the side of fry?


No comments:

Post a Comment