Friday, January 1, 2021

January 1, 2021 – First Trip of 2021 and with a 2020 License – SEPA Blueline

Small stream small fish.

The Silver Fox and I snuck one in just before the rain this morning, the first morning of the new year.  Despite writing myself a note three days ago, I arrived without a 2021 fishing license, and I only knew that because Tom got out of his car and said he remembered on the ride up that he had forgotten.  If we had had cell service where we were, we could have bought them online there and then, but we figured our odds of seeing the authorities today were slim, and if we played dumb it would be convincing because it was the truth.  The hits kept coming, as we also strayed too far into private land on our initial hike into the woods, mostly out of ignorance, mostly, and we were gently asked to leave by a land owner before we even made a second cast.  Sadly, as she explained where the property began, we knew the markers well enough, mainly because one of our honey holes lay right on the cusp of the public land.  The whole thing was cordial, but we half-jokingly imagined we might have been in the sights of someone on the back porch, that the pleasant young woman was just the messenger for Pa or Grampy.  Of course, posted signs or not, now that we’ve been notified, we will not be venturing down this far again.  I am not 100% versed in the law, but I believe ignorance only works once if you are lucky.

Tom's turn for action shots.

I would like to say that things got better after that, but fishing was also slow or at least small.  We probably landed 9 brookies and one brown between us, but none of them was over 6 inches long.  I had the big idea to throw a mono rig with a bigger CDC jig, knowing fish would be in deep plunges, and that did eventually work after 11 AM.  In order to catch my first fish, however, I had to toss an 18 perdigon from a bit back and into soft, clear holes.  I encouraged Tom to stick with the big meal plan, and he did get on the board with an sj worm and later a bugger, so my original plan was not off the mark, just prematurely timed.  I landed a few more and moved at least two that I could see swipe while subtly hopping the size 12 CDC jig, a tag fly or what the kids like to call a blowtorch because it’s either more macho or more precise to do so.  It’s only a blowtorch if the color matches fire, right?  But it’s a tag fly regardless of what color tag you tie into it?  Anyway, my original idea of a bigger, and a little more active, meal worked.  If only the larger fish were made aware of the plan.

Yeah, the measure net!!

Because we started further upstream than in the past, and were mostly covering ground quickly to find deep water, we ventured further upstream than on any prior visits.  This is Tom’s spot, but even he had not gone as far upstream alone as we did today.  We found some water that looked very brookie-ish, and we landed some dinks in new spots to confirm the presence of the species even if they were the wrong size.  By 1 PM, we were becoming more aware of precipitation, so we decided to hike back and target a few former hots spots or high percentage holes before the real rain arrived.  We did not find any more fish at any of the return visits, but we did manage to avoid any major rain until the ride home.  I was able to sneak around one recent fender bender before Turnpike trucks and police arrived and shut the lanes down, and I assume Tom beat me through that.   That was lucky, as was beating a trespassing rap and not getting stopped by the Commish.  Fishing on the first day of the year is also lucky, and I remedied the missing license and trout stamp when I got home, even threw in the voluntary Wild Trout & Enhanced Waters Permit for the second year, nearly 60 bucks in fees.  That’s like 60 cents a trip by my 2020 standards, but I hope to fish even more this year!  Happier New Year!


6 comments:

  1. Great report as always and awesome looking water. Im wondering if im expecting a January 2nd VC report in the immediate future :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, thought about it Matt! Tom actually texted me the CFS numbers late morning. My next trip will not likely be until Monday. If you got out, I hope the year started right.

      Delete
  2. Hey, you ended last year as a Dirty Old Man, and started this year as a trespasser fishing without a license. I can only imagine what comes next.

    That is some beautiful water as Matt said. Small but beautiful fish too. Happy new year!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just razzing you big guy. One time in the Poconos I impulsively jumped in our jon boat right at dusk to twitch a rapala a little. Forgot we took the life vests out to dry that afternoon. 50 feet down the bank "The Man" steps out from the weeds. "Can you hold up your PFD sir?" Cost me $125 clams. Ironically that is the one time in my boating days that I didn't have my PFD! I was sitting in 2' of water. LOL

      Delete
    2. Oh, man. I was telling Tom that I was walked back to my car in Conshy while dude had his holster unclipped, all because I forgot to display. It was in the car, so I think he only punched a hole in my license after all that. I was probably 25 so maybe I looked dangerous then? Night and day from an experience canoeing the big D. Lost the license, or left it at home, sent him a copy in the mail, and he dropped the charges. Held the fine for a week while I mailed the copy. Same region, different dude. Now there is probably only one CO for half the state!

      Delete