Monday, September 13, 2021

September 13, 2021 – Still Pushing Some Water but Worth the Extra Effort – Northampton County Limestoner

The best of the morning.

The water from Ida is taking its time flushing out of the creeks and rivers.  This creek I nymphed this morning is probably considered a medium sized creek, but when the snow melts in March and the springs are fed, it stays pushy into June many years.  Despite wet wading today, I almost felt like I was fishing those early spring flows when the creek is regularly double its summer size.  The visibility was great, however, just a limestone tint at this point.  I ended up fishing two heavy larvae in order to get at the fish today.  With the water temps optimum, I guess they were not afraid to get in there and eat.  A green caddis larva in size 14 scored most of the fish, I believe, and the others took a bomb hare’s ear on the point or a frenchie, so larva and pupa on the menu.  It was a lot of work wading and fishing flows like this, especially after getting used to low summer flows, but I landed at least 10 fish and two of them were really quality browns.  After a slow start with only small fish to show for the effort, I was pumped to land a good 16-inch fish near the tailout of a deep run (you may notice all the pics below).  That is, until I landed one that was probably 20-inches long, a big old hen, not 15 minutes later.

Some smalls to start in pushy, cold flows still post-Ida.  That basic green larva.

I cut my own lawn and then my mom’s over the weekend, and I had Zoom class meetings every night since Thursday (including tonight) so between being mentally active into the early evening and the allergies, I slept like crap.  I set the alarm for 4:30 AM and ended up rolling over and sleeping for another hour.  I love to start early, as you may know, so I almost bagged this trip completely when I saw the time.  Instead, I got up and hung out with Tami and the boy until he had to stroll to the bus stop around 6:35 AM (cruel for high schoolers!).  I had one creek in mind, and actually started driving there, but subconsciously, I guess, I had packed my 10’6” 4 weight rod, so I was ready for a bigger creek and potentially bigger fish in bigger flows.  When I noticed the longer rod bouncing in my periphery, I decided to change plans (or stick with the subconscious one?) and head to this creek.  As I said, I figured it would be pushy, and in my current state, not my gung ho February or March state, it was a little intimidating, especially suited to wet wade.  I bit the bullet, and targeted softer runs and seams, and I caught fish, but once I retooled to fish heavier and deeper, after the short interim step of tossing a jigged bugger, I was definitely rewarded for embracing the conditions.

Proud to pose with bows like this!

I did not even target a favorite hole today because the wade to get there was too sketchy today, especially without a staff and not knowing how the creek had changed since Ida. I even picked up and tested a nice branch from all the deadfall before I changed my mind.  I was going to hoof it around the long way on dry land but instead took a walk downstream and explored some different runs and riffles after fishing bigger bugs deeper in some of my early morning spots.  The neglected hole will be visited plenty more this year, and it’s not like I missed out.  Both alternative choices were rewarding.  I caught a couple pristine rainbows where I caught nothing earlier in the morning, and then I hit the mother lode fishing the aforementioned tailout and softer edges of a deep, bouncy run.  I even pulled another rainbow and a couple small browns right out of the riffle at the head of the run.  I may have found a concentration, but more likely I found the perfect spot for fish to pick off caddis larva.  I actually saw the 16-inch fish give herself away making a swing for a live bug or other meal before I got her to take my bugs.  A flash of color and a wink of white mouth from a fish that looked much bigger based on just those visuals.  Not to worry, however.  As I worked my way upstream through this deep run, I found a few more browns, another bow with white-tipped translucent fins and great colors, and eventually a hen brown that I will have to say 20 inches based on my hand measure.

Happy to see this hen, so the photshoot was on, I guess!  None of the shots great...

While the smaller of the two good fish leaped twice, I knew the larger one was larger because she barely moved at first, just hung deep under the heavier flow above her.  She eventually took off on a couple runs, and with the flows up, I had to think hard about where to land this fish.  Luckily, and with some blind downstream hopping on my part, I was able to keep the fish above me and in control most of the time.  This was a thick healthy fish that went back with a strong kick despite a good fight in heavy current—granted, the current was more of a challenge for angler than fish.  I was grateful for another big fish for the year, which is only 60 percent complete, mind you.  We have surpassed luck.  I may have upped my fighting game, I suppose.  I have encountered plenty of big trout in my life, and have the receipts for the last 5 or 6 years of my fishing life logged here, but the big ones often get away.  And yet each one of those encounters, whether they end with a grip and grin or not, are instructive.  I only wish I’d been thusly educated while fighting a 24 incher from this same creek maybe five years ago!  And fighting a fish that size on the Lehigh or Brodhead or West Branch is an entirely different lesson plan.  Today was a good day that has me reinvigorated for the approaching fall weather and fishing.

More shots of the big old catch of the day.



13 comments:

  1. Nice fish! You can catch them anywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire your skills and enjoy your blog -- but if you'll permit a small complaint, it would be great if you were more site specific. I don't ask to pinpoint your best holes, but it's frustrating to read about an interesting day trip without having the foggiest notion what stream you were wading.
    When I fish it's usually lower Montgomery County and all I ever get are sunnies -- one after another.... Kitchens Lane....Lorimers Park, Pennypack -- always the same.
    Are there a couple of real simple basic places where I'd have better success?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks for the kudos! The places you mentioned are all stocked trout streams, so the game is a bit different with the wild fish I am targeting on the creeks I choose not to name. I do name larger streams and well-known destinations that I fish, unless the people I am fishing with prefer that I not. Unless someone shared a spot with me, I have put a lot of research and, quite frankly, trial and error into finding my wild trout spots (and over 100 trips per year, not all successful). I have two great suggestions: a book called Keystone Fly Fishing (which is even available in the Montgomery County Library system) and the PA Fish and Boat Commission's maps of Class A streams, which are even arranged by county. Lehigh, Northampton, Berks, Carbon, Monroe are all under two hour rides and full of wild and stocked fish. Honestly, all but maybe two of the creeks I fish regularly are well-known and even pressured because of how close they are to metro areas. I am not the only one who gets really protective about them. I have even gotten grief on this site for naming big systems like the Lackawanna River, so while some readers like you want more spot details, those that know the spots I am fishing would prefer I name none of them. Here is an just one example: https://sickdaysfishing.blogspot.com/2020/06/june-17-2020-long-pre-dawn-drive-but.html

      I choose to tow the line between, but I do like my solitude on the water! I hope this helps. I should probably make a post about this instead of rambling in the comments ;)

      Delete
  3. While I'm here, would there be any luck fishing Valley Forge stream? A friend of mine tried it once, but said he caught nothing, though I suspect he was there a poor time of year. I understand Valley Stream is not stocked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valley Creek is a real gem, especially for how close to Philly it is. There are some stocked fish that get in there in the lower end, but 99% are wild, streambred brown trout, so it's a very cool and sometimes fragile resource. Just keep in mind to not target wild fish in water that is close to 70 degrees and leave them alone in late November into mid December when they are actively making babies in there! Get that Keystone book, as I recall they go into great detail about such a popular and unique spot.

      Delete
  4. Man, your hell bent on 20 inchers this year man! Can only imagine what is coming this fall! Nice Job!!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK. Makes sense to be protective, I guess. Thanks for the response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Unkown,

    While spots are a very touchy subject here, and everywhere these days, you might want to ask about techniques and tactics which I know the blogger would be glad to share. A teacher gotta teach! :)
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RR! I made the most of my one available fishing day this week. And, yes, I am transparent about everything but spots, I hope...

      Delete
  7. Yes, that bend looks familiar! Good fishing, bet your are out tomorrow. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK. A more generic question. Last year on our annual trip southward, I was fishing the famous Soque River near Clarkesville GA. It was a drizzly, miserable day and I was the only person out (the worse, the better, I guess).
    Anyway, I was getting four or five good hits in an hour on #12 flies using the Cabelas Three-Fours rod I think your father sold me a while back, but just could NOT hook anything. I believe the trout there tend to be small wilds. I'm in my 70s now and suppose my reflexes aren't what they wuz. I know to keep my rod tip down and my line straight -- but I've never been skunked so consistently before.
    Anything obvious I might do to improve my chances? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, buying a rod from my father was your first mistake. Bad mojo! Hard to say. All I know of that creek is that they stock it in the private sections with monster fish. I did add a Contact Me in the footer of the page, which will go to my email. I turned it off a couple years ago when I got very busy, but I do try to respond, as you may see here!

      Delete