Sunday, September 19, 2021

September 19, 2021 – The Weather and Conditions Were 4-Stars, the Fishing Maybe 2-Stars – Northampton County Limestoner

Looking really nice.

It looked to be a great morning on paper, and the weather was awesome for humans, but all but 6 of the fish in this particular stretch of this particular creek unfortunately had lockjaw.  The air and water temperatures were great, the water flow was still up for late summer/early fall, and it even had some slight color.  There were caddis in the air and the start of the leaf hatch on the water (at least sycamore leaves), so it felt like early fall.  There was a slight breeze (enough once in a while to send a cluster of walnuts my way with a threatening splash) and no humidity at all by 9 AM.  I started fishing around 6:45 AM, and I think the cold front came through just a little earlier in the morning, so the change in the weather today may have coincided too closely with my fishing hours.  Maybe I can get out Monday or Tuesday when the fish have adjusted?  It felt too good to be just mediocre.

...and the leaf hatch commences.

Because the water was higher but rather clear, I had some early success floating my sighter with one bug underneath.  This allows me to fish upstream and further away from the spooky fish.  The basic caddis larva is still working with the absence of hatches, but after sunrise I did began to see small adult caddis, about size 18 or 20.  I fished a pupa on the dropper for a while after that, but I could not even interest YOY in the small naturals.  It was odd not to get popped by the small fish in some spots, but the storms and/or the change in the weather had even them in hiding, pushed down into deeper holes still, or feeling a bit pressure sick.  Who knows?   The half a dozen fish I did land were in that 9 to 11 inch range, which is fun for a small creek, so I enjoyed what I did catch.  I only had one hit in a deep plunge on a jigged bugger that did not connect—the fish actually hit twice, and I still didn’t get a hook in it—so it was not like I did not make the most out of my limited opportunities this morning.

An especially pretty one.

I think I caught all female fish, so no males getting pretty for the ladies, but a couple of the hens too were beginning to color up and plump up.  The sight of those fall caddis and the leaves on the water had me anticipating fall fishing, but we may have a little while more of summer to endure.  The past week was hot, so the creek temperatures at a few of my fall favorites that I investigated on Saturday night were still best left alone.  I am hoping to return to some creeks outside my usual 4 or 5 summer spots, maybe even this week.  Last week was crazy busy, and I even have to work tonight for about four hours, but I have a nice lull this upcoming week that I will take advantage of if I am able.  More rain too late in the week, so things are taking shape even if they are not there yet.

Maybe early this week when fall officially begins?

No comments:

Post a Comment