Wednesday, November 17, 2021

November 17, 2021 – Apparently, It Is (even Was) That Time – Northampton County Limestoner

Through the polarized lens.....

I had a guy’s weekend in Asbury Park and didn’t even bring a rod this year, so it’s been a week since I last fished.  On Saturday, in snottier weather, the boats and birds were out in force, so the run is on.  I may go Friday if the weather looks right and Sandy Dunkin can get away from work.  Things have changed on my favorite wild trout streams too.  I noted that fish were looking and acting spawny in the Lehigh Valley last week, and today’s creek was already littered with mostly empty redds.  I saw one fish on a redd, but I noted about ten more that were recently used and likely abandoned, so a lot has indeed happened.  The 24-inch white sucker I battled to end the afternoon was probably looking for some eggs! I could have gone elsewhere, but I know where fish spawn on this creek.  I figured I would find similar conditions wherever I went nearby, so I decided to steer clear of tailouts and obvious redds, stay put, and target the heads of runs and a couple favorite eddies and pools.

An unexpected small stream piggy.

Fishing is often tough when the creek is like this, so I was happy to catch three, including a small stream piggy about 17 inches.  The fish was still fat as can be, so maybe fixing to be a late spawner.  Based on the anal fin, I would say male fish, though the jaw was not all that pronounced even though he had the sharp male head.  Sitting in a deep eddy eating a size 18 perdigon, he actually may have already done his civic duty.  The other two fish were average 10-11-inchers.  I fished small bugs like an 18 walts and the perdigon because there were no bugs early, but later in the early afternoon some olives and caddis were around.  The olives even got a few dinks up rising for a minute.  I did swing a tiny soft hackle and got bumped once, but I did not commit to that game for long.  With the water pretty average to low, and the leaf litter, I did not even tie on a bugger today. I thought about it when it clouded up for about 30 minutes but never made the move.

A whopping total of three on the perdigon dropper tag.

The two smaller fish came from edges and eddies of deep plunge pools.  The big fish came from a big fish hole where I have landed a few over the years up to 20 inches.  The takes were so light that they all probably just stayed in their lanes and opened their mouths for the small bug.  The fights were better than the takes, however.  The big fish took me down into another pool with some wood in it.  I was throwing the 3 weight today, too!  I had to muscle him out from under a log before he got in too deep.  After a slow start with only two other fish before that, it was a welcomed and unexpected adventure.

Some sun, clouds, redds, ducks...

Early in the morning, I spotted two big shapes in a similar big fish hole.  It was too deep, a little bouncy, and way too cloudy at that time to confirm at least one was a trout.  At least I knew they were not spawing, so I went back before I left to get a better look.  When I hooked the mammoth sucker, I can confirm that he spooked at least one decent trout in this hole.  I had to be content to enjoy the brief sucker battle: an initial run or two that spooked the entire hole.  I did not get a net on this one before he shook the perdigon out of (or more likely off) his mouth, but it was well over 20 inches.  Maybe a pod of them were hanging around for trout eggs.  The trout will return the favor early in the new year, so all is fair.  Speaking of fair, this was a warm and successful fishing day during a time of year that I find tough as many days as not.  Thursday is supposed to get close to 70 degrees, but I have a couple meetings and class at night.  As I mentioned above, I may take my first surf trip on Friday if Jeff can get free.  If not, maybe a bigger creek where the fish tend to spawn in tribs or other obvious places will be on the dance card.

One more bonus shot.



5 comments:

  1. That's a nice fish for a smll stream. Too bad o sucker pics! I have only read and heard about Redds, Never realized how big they were. Thanks for sharing!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if I stopped getting pretzel crumbs get in my keyboard all the letters would show up!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Ever since I caught that last Red Drum on the first cast of te last day with 8 and bait in an noreaster, my thought processes have become muddled so to speak. :)

      Watching patiently to see your Stripers on the sand!
      RR

      Delete