Tuesday, November 30, 2021

November 30, 2021 – Still No Blitz for Me, but One Fish is Better than None – Ocean County Beaches

One....

Well, I did better than Sunday, but not by much.  I landed one 20-21 inch bass in the dark about 5:30 AM on a black SP Minnow, and then I fished until 9 AM without a touch.  I felt kind of bad landing one resident fish, probably out for his usual predawn constitutional, and apparently alone, but at least I am on the board for the Fall 2021 season.  It can only get better.  After first light and no birds or bait in sight, I continued to drive north and scope out three more beaches.  I should have gone south, but that is the game with peanut bunker and blitzes.  Shoulda woulda coulda.  While tossing a small shad at the final stop, just to stick maybe one more dink, I did finally see birds diving well south of me and way out there.  One of these days, I am going to walk into a blitz or get lucky with a move, but as a land-based angler, I will have to continue to drive around until that happens.   That is, unless the more consistent sandeel bite materializes—that is built for a guy like me who doesn’t mind getting up at 3 AM, driving 90 minutes, and fishing 3 hours for a short burst of fish.  Although, as I posted on Sunday, there are more skunks recorded when the bite is like this, but the good days can be epic.  Maybe tomorrow if I am up, but Sunday with Sandy Dunkin and Brady Windknots if nothing else.  Maybe I sleep in and catch a trout tomorrow instead…

A little more white water, but the dead sea (for me).  Probably awesome 5 miles to the south!



4 comments:

  1. I was thinking the overcast sky would have given you endless morning and more fish. In between my Dad's place in DE, and my DBay cottage and boat I got humbled on about 10 trips to LBI. Have you considered starting late afternoon and into the dark?

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The morning tides were def not in my favor this week, but I could not fish the afternoon with my work schedule. I don't mind low because I can get out on the bar like I was a kid again, but the fish have to be there! I think I started fly fishing more again right around the time that the surf became too many long drives for not much payoff. If I lived within 40 minutes, I would be there every other night for 4 weeks. I blame my boy Dolf (and Pete) for making me do it again the last couple of years!

      Delete
  2. Yep, being there "Yesterday" makes all the difference. I bass fished 4 times this year and then OBX. 2 weeks fished almost every morning and evening. That's my year of fishing due to things that have to be done, but mainly like you...........distance.
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years like this is why I got so heavy into fly fishing again... 90 minutes north and west, and I am in wild trout heaven. I will still throw small every December for schoolie action, like I have done the last half a dozen years, but unless I start fishing the dark again I don't see many November trips my future....

      Delete