Friday, May 20, 2022

May 20, 2022 – Not Spectacular with High-ish Flows and a Low on Its Way but Not Too Shabby Either – The Mighty Brodhead Creek

Gorgeous start to the day.

The creek was over 200 and slowly falling today, so a bit too sporty to reach all the little pockets across the way, but I gave it a good effort.  I had the felt and the studs on the feet, and I even had the staff on my belt.  I did not bust that out until deep into my trip when I was in need of food and water and felt myself on the verge of stumbly.  It probably would have felt good to get wet today, honestly.  It was bit warm for my liking today, even in NEPA.  Eric and I are fishing Sunday in SEPA, and I know I will be wet wading even if I have to piss every five minutes as a result of standing in 60 degree water at 6 AM.  I put in a full day, fishing from about 6:30 AM to 2:30 PM, which is when the skies were starting to look ominous.  I got caught in a sunshower before making it back to where I parked, and I had a crappy and long commute home because the rain arrived right around 3 PM when I was beginning my drive.  The early start to Friday rush hour probably did not help.  Aside from that acutely annoying closing low, it was pretty much a day of highs.

Gorgeous fish too.

With the flows up a bit and periods of cloud cover, I started out tossing one of Eric’s big jigged buggers, but I only moved one average brown and then stuck a holdover bow for the effort. I had another average fish on the swing come off after a leap. It was a go for broke situation for the first two hours, I bet, and the elusive piggy did not eat.  When I switched to nymphing around 9 AM, I had a very solid two hours of cooperative wild browns.  Some were smalls that took the little caddis dropper, but I also caught two good fish and a couple in that 11 to 12-inch range as well.  One better fish took a bomb hare’s ear deep, and the other took a big golden stone.  I see from the pics that I also had a smaller golden stone on the dropper for a while, and that notched a decent rainbow too.  The caddis were maybe thick enough to start something for an hour, but with the creek flows up, matching the hatch and getting those small bugs deep, even on 5x, which on this section of the creek means losing a lot of tungsten, was not easy to pull off.  There was a lot of uncomfortably high sticking for really short effective drifts with the smaller bugs, so I believe that informed the choice to keep trying the stones.

More bouncy crick in spring.

I lost at least one 12- or 13-incher that came off a size 18 caddis larva, and in the same run where I did land a good 16-inch fish, I also had a pig come off.  It happens in these flows and while using such a heavy anchor fly to get the smaller bug down to them.  It has to be done sometimes, but I know from experience that the heavy fly pulls the little one sometimes, like when the anchor gets drawn in another direction in fast-moving pocket water and changes the angle.  It can even hang on rocks or the bottom in pocket water when the fish digs for freedom.  The pig today had the small bug and just took off downriver and the small fly pulled.  Luckily, another decent fish was feeding nearby, and I was able to land him.  Only maybe 16 inches and change, but he did the same thing, took off down river with me chasing and trying not to swim.  Of course, this smaller fish had the anchor fly, a size 10 hare’s ear, so that stayed in his mouth!  The other nicer fish I caught a little later took the big stonefly, which was also fortunate.  This fish was broader and a closer to 17 inches, so I was happy he stayed on and posed for the full hand-with-fish photoshoot.  

Bows contributed to the action.  One even walloped the bugger early.

Basically, fish would eat that little bug on the dropper, but the conditions were just a bit too bouncy to keep some of them on for very long.  I eventually stuck with two larger bugs because in addition to the caddis that did get the wild fish going subsurface for a couple hours there were a few sulfurs in the air and even a couple craneflies.  I also saw three or four slate drakes that are massive mayflies, probably size 8, early in their seasonal hatch.  Without the rain tonight, they might have given a dry fly guy a night to remember if enough are showing already.  Without the new shot of rain, the flows might have been near perfect by evening too.  Had I been able to fish a single caddis larva or small blowtorch in pocket water, it may have been an even stronger showing today.

A beauty or two, a sunshower.

I usually have a bang up day around this time in May each year, but flows at 150 or below make that much more possible.  I think with more cloud cover or barometer not plunging, the fishing could have been magic.  Could’ve should’ve would’ve.  In the end, it was still a fun and productive outing.  I landed about 10 browns and another 5 bows, and I did drop a few, so there was action.  It was a good day, but it was not the day.  Maybe next week in cooler temps I will get another shot.  It looks like the 90’s are short lived, which is good.  Not only do I like to stalk the pocket water in late May and early June here, but I also like to take a couple shots at the bigger water closer to the river before it gets too warm.  I landed a couple really nice fish last year and the year before, but I also broke off and jumped a couple well into the 20’s.  I would sure like to see one of them again before summer decides to stay for good.

More pics of cooperative wild browns.



No comments:

Post a Comment