Wednesday, May 25, 2022

May 25, 2022 – Another Pretty but Average Day – Northampton County Limestoner

Pretty fish.

I landed a pair in the 12- to 13-inch range, lost one a bit bigger, and tangled with probably 10 more smalls from a couple year classes today.  I only had a few hours because I had to teach tonight, and I am actually spending the day on the Susquehanna with Kenny on Thursday, so I had no notions about going too hard today.  I would have liked to have landed the one fish that got off, but the fish that opens this post, and another about the same size, made it worth coming out this morning.  I fished from 6:45 to about 11:15 AM, and it was a slow start.  Surprisingly, a dude was already there when I arrived, and I saw more of them later, maybe three more.  Because dude had not been on the scene long, I could see him near the access point, so I took a walk below and fished some water that I only fish once every few trips.  It is not prime stuff, so I was not surprised that I netted only dinks for the first two hours, but I did catch a handful of fish.  I also landed a sad looking rainbow.  From about 9 to 10 AM, I had a good spurt of better fish, including the two I mentioned before, and then a lot of work for more smalls.  There was one encounter, as there sometimes is this time of year, but that fish got off before a photo.  I did not stay much past 11 AM when I did not see more bugs or other signs of life.  I figured a nap before class was better than working for more smalls in bright sun and average flows.

Pretty creek, bow?

There were plenty of midges and small caddis.  I landed an equal number of fish on a caddis larva, but the better ones took a size 14 frenchie.  I put this on when I saw sulfurs.  Sadly the bigger fish pulled free of an 18 walts that was on the dropper tag.  I was just being impatient. I couldn’t see the fish in all the glare, so I couldn’t tell how big, and I wanted to see.  He just wanted to stay put after barely registering a take on the small bug.  What I did that was unwise, especially realizing he had the small tag, was I changed the angle on him to get him to move, and he did.  Right off the hook.  The fish was probably not big enough to get mad, maybe 15 inches, but I was mad at myself because I was at fault getting fancy and impatient for the fight to begin.  When I see how big a fish is right away, I am usually more cautious about bringing the fight to them, unless the cover around is dangerous or something.  This was just a stupid move because I was mostly blind due to the weird light on the water.

A couple year classes of smallsies.

I was going to make a move to another creek because real estate here was running out, but instead I worked the same run of pocket water another time.  I landed a few more small or average fish this time through, and I foul-hooked one in the fin that also barely took the dropper.  I must have been late and hit him with the anchor fly.  It was just that kind of morning, I guess.  Fish would eat, but the buffet has been out there and warm for a month now, so something different has to spark an exceptional day, I suppose.  More of the same is more of the same for them too.  Fish were caught, I got some time outdoors before a work night, and I even got free parking in the City before class, so all in all not a bad day.  I am looking forward to a change of pace tomorrow with young Kenny.  A smallmouth or 50 on spinning gear sounds different enough because god knows I am not going anywhere near the beach to fish this upcoming weekend!

Some b-roll.


No comments:

Post a Comment