Monday, September 12, 2022

September 12, 2022 – Small Stream Sneaking in the Stained Water – Berks County

A few decent small stream fish in the mix.

I decided to do a little recon on a creek I have not fished since the late fall of 2021.  It is stocked a few times in the spring, but it also has a decent population of wild fish that begin to dominate the scene again once the interlopers are eaten or go belly up.  After this warm and exceptionally dry summer, I expected to catch the variety of rough fish that I did, and I was also not surprised that only one holdover ended up in the net.  I usually fish this creek in the late fall and winter, but I guess I needed a change from the Lehigh Valley limestoners on my summer list.  It was probably a bit premature, as the water temperatures on this mostly freestone creek were in the mid-60’s today.  The last round of slow, steady rain added a bit a volume, and plenty of small seeps and rivulets were adding cool water, but I could tell the creek had been low by the amount of vegetation on the banks.  Had the water temps been a bit cooler to start, I think my plan would have been great, but in the end I had to return to the usual small bug script to put together a decent tally.   It was humid as heck, and even wet wading it was not the most comfortable morning to fish, even if the woods turned lush and lovely overnight from just a little bit of that much needed rain.

Mostly stained but certainly not high + mid-60's not magical temps.

I arrived with a small black bugger on the anchor and an SJ worm on the dropper, but I had an inkling that would not be the ticket when I saw the creek.  The water was stained in the deeper holes, muddy in the muddier spots, but the riffles were clearing.  I had two big old chubs eat the bugger, and I saw two decent trout take a look, but it appeared that the streamer bite was not going to happen.  I stuck with it a while because I could cover a lot of creek, and this was partially a recon trip, but eventually I wanted to catch a trout.  I rigged with 5.5X, a 16 frenchie with a purple hot spot, and one of Eric’s buggy little tag flies on the dropper.  Once I did that, I had a steady pick of fish for the rest of my upstream walk.  Most of them were fallfish, creek chubs, and dace of all sizes.  They loved Eric’s bug, and only one trout ate it, so I eventually clipped it off.  The honey holes were disappointing, maybe because of the stain and lower oxygen levels, but pocket water produced enough to make it a fun, albeit swampy trip.  There were no bugs present, not even midges, and so many fry that I know I will toss a bugger again next time too.  Although, there are caddis in October, so that might be a moot point by my next visit.

Lush and lovely, one holdover, uber-chubs dominated.

The first trout I landed was a pretty fish, but it had no eye spot and fused patterns, so just a small holdover brown that no one wanted to eat, I guess.  After that, I did catch at least half a dozen YOY and another 4 or 5 smalls before putting together a handful of small-stream-respectable fish too.  In the spirit of recon, I walked deeper into the stretch than I usually do.   I guess I usually don’t have to cover as much ground in order to put together a satisfactory catch, but it was good to visit some of the holes I rarely visit.  There are some good ones that I must remember for the winter!  The last real fish came around 12 noon.  I was in the shade and wet wading, but I could tell it was hot out of the canopy.  I did not recall the forecast calling for 85 degrees, but that was what it was saying on my dash when I started my ride home.  Another front coming through on Monday might bring rain.  At the very least, it is supposed to end the humidity.  I may check the gages in the morning, but I think I will probably wait until Thursday or Friday to get out again.  Instead of getting excited about warm rain, I am hoping a few more cool nights might make an even bigger difference.

Eventually a good number of pretty wild browns on small bugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment