Tuesday, October 11, 2022

October 11, 2022 – Typical Fall Conditions, but the Presence of Bugs Made for a Decent Morning - Northampton County Limestoner

Some decent small stream fishes.

I fished for a good five hours this clear, chilly morning, and about three of those hours were rather productive.  I caught fish periodically the entire time, and I was happy for that because conditions were low and clear: typical fall conditions, basically.  I did not catch any fish over 12 inches, but a few decent small stream fish and many smalls did cooperate.  If I count the two or three YOY boys, I estimate about a dozen fish ate.  It’s been about two years, maybe even pre-pandemic, since I enjoyed fishing a nice peak at this little limestoner.  There was some added pressure during lockdown, even from gear fishermen, that may have made a dent in a particularly impressive year class, plus Ida messed up some holding water and deeper pocket water sections.  The presence of at least three cooperative year classes today, including this year’s young just barely big enough to get a size 18 bug in their mouths, gives me continued hope that it will rebound again too.  The exceptional year or two was really nice while it lasted, this aforementioned peak—I had some mornings with multiple fish in the mid-teens back then with nary a witness.  I even brought Eric once hoping to share a bit of the bonus bounty.  Right now, I am happy with 10 inchers, but I still enjoy fishing this little gem and have fished through other lean years in the past.   Since I last visited in late June, some new trees came down, a bridge is out, and the RR company is doing its best to leave behind all its old hardware and other trash, but such is life in the Lehigh Valley suburbs. 

Small bugs.

I started fishing around 7:15 AM after hitting some traffic on the way up, but it needed to warm up a little anyway.  I caught a few fish before 9 AM, all on a size 18 perdigon, but I had to work for them.  I was sneaking around with a micro mono rig and those small bugs being really careful with my feet and making my first cast the right cast whenever possible.  Caddis were in all the bushes again, so I held out hope that late morning would bring the creek to life, and it did—but only for about an hour.  During that hour when small caddis were emerging, I had a good number take a size 18 CDC blowtorch on the dropper higher in the water column.  Around 11 AM, with bugs still active, I returned to a honey hole and a run of pocket water that should have been more productive the first time through despite the chilly water, but by that time it was already feeling over.  I did catch at least three more fish the second pass through, so I am glad that I did not take a ride to another section as planned because the productive window quickly fizzled with the high sun.  It was probably better that I just stayed put and enjoyed the nice weather for another hour and a good walk in the woods.

A mess on the banks of a Class A-protected crick, even fuel containers....

I referenced the railroad above.  They must have been doing major repairs recently.  Today, there was some heavy machinery and a small crew that may have been attempting a half-assed clean up.  They were making a racket dumping most (but not all) of the discarded metal plates and spikes into a metal bin—I actually like old school industrial music, but metal on metal does not mix well with nature, unfortunately.  There was plenty of crap left behind as they passed too.  I took some pics that I thought about sending to someone, maybe the TU chapter that takes care of this place or the Commish. I probably should because there were even a few containers with fuel residue left inside and a lot of plastic tarpaulin material, even what appeared to be discarded grinding or sanding wheels.  All too much for me to pack into the ‘Ru myself, although it crossed my mind.  A good rain and that crap will be in the already compromised crick.  I decided not to let it ruin my morning in the end.  Work is in progress, so maybe they will clean it up for real on the final pass.  One can hope.  I know Class A creeks enjoy special consideration, at least in theory.  If we get more rain, I will be back to confirm in the next week or so.  Fish tend to spawn early on this creek, and wading up the gut is necessary with the riparian buffer, so I try to get a few trips in before the spawn and then let them get to the much appreciated repopulation.

Fallish.

A couple of the fish today were already coloring up, getting darker reds and oranges and more dark spots.  The darkness is also likely due to where they hide in low water and the amount of summer algae still present because of the low water, but those other deeper colors don’t lie!  Fish spawn right in this section too because there is a barrier upstream, and they can’t go too far.  Last year’s young were gorging themselves on small caddis pupa even in high sun, but the adults went back to hiding deep in the bushes and undercuts even as the hatch carried on.  I think with more flow to make them feel safer or not acutely aware of my presence, I could have kept the action going longer.  Had I seen some rises, I had the dry dropper in the car too, but they were not completely feeling it this morning.  Maybe next week.  Before that, I have a couple bigger creeks in mind for Friday if the rain makes a mark but not too much of a mark!

More pretty trouts.


7 comments:

  1. Nice pretty ones there. Too bad the trash ruined the ambiance.
    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fishies, I think I got skunked there and you caught on trout magnets a few years back - hopefully they come back for the trash as it looks too neatly stacked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bud. That was def a different spot. Where you are talking about is on my list for Friday ;)

      Delete