Tuesday, October 25, 2022

October 25, 2022 – The Cooperative Rainbows are Often a Sign – Northampton County Limestoner

Bow and not a lot of bugs.

I fished from 10 to 2 today, and I only had three skinny holdover rainbows to show for it.  Two of them took a caddis pupa while I was targeting the rise, and the other one ate a walts deep.  It was foggy and then cloudy and warm all day, and I only witnessed small caddis hatching for about 30 minutes around 11 AM.  I was hoping for olives maybe?  Or I was hoping the low light and decent flows would get them up and going midday?  With the low light and slow fishing, I almost missed the brief bug appearance I did happen to get, until I saw the birds eating them.  Only two fish rose during that window, and I got both of them to eat a nymph.  It was over before it started and over long before I even considered rerigging to target more risers.  I tossed a bugger for a while in some deep holes when it was clear that the wild fish were not going to move up into riffles and get active today.  The leaf hatch is in full effect, as you may notice from the pics.  Tami was home for the boy after school, so I could have stayed out longer, but sometimes when the rainbows eat here it’s because the browns are letting them.  They were hiding or had lockjaw today.  Maybe the sun on Thursday will change the play book. 

Leafy.


5 comments:

  1. Interesting hypothesis . Sometimes the wild fish turn off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just an observation from my experience on this creek. It is rare to have a good day with both species for whatever reason. There is a reason a group that shall remain nameless stocks brookies in there! The wild fish can be dickish at times ;)

      Delete
  2. I wonder if shadows from floating leaves make then nervous?
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Jay notes, I think they just have good days and inactive ones, especially if you get no help from hatches or other factors like flow or stain. As far as leaves, I heard a guide in CO tell my sister that she could only get away with a bobber in the the typical low fall water conditions BECAUSE of the leaves, so I am not sure. Bobbers make noise though, so a different animal in some ways.

      Delete
  3. Wild browns are interesting they move , on theyer terms , they eat on theyer terms . There is one river we mutually fish that I've never seen wild fish rise in a 100 yard stretch . No matter how the bugs are ... It's just weird .

    ReplyDelete