Tuesday, December 13, 2022

December 13, 2022 – Late Fall Sure Felt Like Winter, but the Fish Did Not Seem to Mind – Berks County

Back to pretty small stream wild trout.

It was cold today, but I had the time to fish. I also wanted to make a stop in the area for a Christmas gift idea for my wife, so even if fishing was challenging, the trip would have purpose.  After stopping on the way north and west, I arrived a few minutes before noon to this small Berks County Class A creek.  With the temperatures hovering in the low 40’s, I did not expect company—honestly, I did not expect much of anything, maybe a couple post-spawn wild browns.  With the creek to myself and the sun warming up the water, I ended up having three good hours of fishing.  As soon as the sun tucked behind the hills once again, it was over, but during the prime time I landed 8 trouts and missed at least two more short hitters.  Most were smalls in the 6 to 8-inch range, but I did land two memorable fish in the that 11-inch range, maybe even a solid 12 inches with one long hen. 

Chilly but beautiful and productive afternoon.

I say memorable because, the smalls came from the usual wintering spots, a deep hole, and they took a size 18 CDC jig or the perdigon under a bobber.  However, the two better fish took a perdigon on a tightline in little plunge pools in isolated cover, like under boulders or tucked beside the white water.  I did not take a water temp, but there was some ice in the puddles, so I am not surprised that the fish hit sluggishly.  They fought well enough, though.  This creek is a two-leaper, and a long jumper could probably clear it in one, so these were fun December fish in tight quarters.  With the water so cold they went back with a good kick, no worse for the encounter with the bundled-up dude in drab colors who needed to get outdoors and restart his wild trout pursuits at any cost after a long pause—well, long for this guy.

A half a dozen average fish, but a couple decent small stream fish too.

It appears that we may have a West wind and lighter surf over the weekend, so I have penciled in one last trip to the surf on Sunday.  I am still hoping to get into a mess of schoolies or even rats on light tackle with the boy.  Tony and Jeff may even bring their sons along, so there may be a theme working.  I would go again to the beach next week if the fishing proves to be decent this weekend, but it was nice to be in the woods this week, and especially nice to land a good bunch of wild fish on a beautiful little gem of a creek.  I like people, I really do, but I don’t fish for camaraderie, really!  Maybe sometimes, maybe 70/30?  The only other living thing out there with me this afternoon was a skittish mink.  She was probably pissed I was in her honey hole.  I understood.

One more, why not?


2 comments:

  1. Didn't expect to see a post when I clicked actually, so it was a pleasant surprise! That is a gorgeous little crick right there! Nice pics!

    Only a husband of the year candidate would squeeze in a fly fishing trip on a wife's Christmas gift run....................you make us mere mortals look bad. (:

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Next week is her birthday, too, so I had to say no to a fishing date with Eric. Priorities, you know?

      Delete